swarm cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitbybit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I split a hive in an attemp to prevent a swarm on the 22nd May and brought have with BIAS and two sealed QCs to a friends garden (I now know what I did wrong) My friend reported seeing a mating flight over 3 weeks ago. I brought the hive back yesterday evening and had a look today. I was delighted to find lots of bees and bias suggesting I have a laying queen. I could not find HM despite having a good look. I also found a capped QC. Could this be one of the ones I left that was duff or is this another swarm action? There are also a few empty play cups. Should I knock the cell down and see what they do next or should I try a padgen artificial swarm (I think bees will be fairly thin if I half this colony) Any advice

is it just the one cell?
If so it could be an attempt at supercedure. If you leave queen cells on a frame then put a drawing pin on the top of the frame to mark it, then you will know if there is a new one or not.

Thanks Veg, I'll throw a box of pins into the beekeeping bag for future use.

no probs it just makes it a bit easier so you can be a bit more care full when taking a frame out with a Q cell on.

:
is it just the one cell?
If so it could be an attempt at supercedure. If you leave queen cells on a frame then put a drawing pin on the top of the frame to mark it, then you will know if there is a new one or not.
:iagree:
Always have a box of pins in yer kit!

There should bee brood in the hive.
Bye a new laying queen. don't play with cells any more.

Sorry Finman could you explain that again I don't understand

Sorry Finman could you explain that again I don't understand

Me either. What is HM?

You friends saw mating action( what ever it could be) 2 weeks ago. There should be brood in the hive, if there is a mated queen.

Me either. What is HM?

You friends saw mating action( what ever it could be) 2 weeks ago. There should be brood in the hive, if there is a mated queen.

Sorry Finman, HM is short for Her Majesty in other words the queen. I am happy that there is brood and I know that there is (or at least was until recently) a mated queen in the hive, my problem is the queen cell and how to deal with it?

Latest posts

Back