Supers and varroa treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’d really like to leave my supers on until perhaps the second week of September as we’ve loads of Himalayan balsam here.

My varroa treatment is vaping oxalic acid (multiple vapes at 5 day intervals) and I understand you’re not supposed to do that with supers on…although I’m not sure if it’s a case of ‘its not ideal to vape with supers on but your honey will be perfectly safe to eat if you do’…..,,or ‘you absolutely can’t vape with supers on as it will ruin your honey and make it unfit to consume’

What do people do with regards to varroa treatment if they leave their supers on for a late crop?

I’d really like to leave my supers on until perhaps the second week of September as we’ve loads of Himalayan balsam here.

My varroa treatment is vaping oxalic acid (multiple vapes at 5 day intervals) and I understand you’re not supposed to do that with supers on…although I’m not sure if it’s a case of ‘its not ideal to vape with supers on but your honey will be perfectly safe to eat if you do’…..,,or ‘you absolutely can’t vape with supers on as it will ruin your honey and make it unfit to consume’

What do people do with regards to varroa treatment if they leave their supers on for a late crop?
I wouldn't even think of starting treating until mid to late September. there seems to be a mindset on here to treat earlier nd earlier each season - before long people will be starting their treatments in mid July

Last edited:
I wouldn't ecen think of starting treating until mid to late September. there seems to be a mindset on here to treat earlier nd earlier each season - before long people will be starting their treatments in mid July
Really? Well that would work for me. I was under the impression that you had to treat about mid august in order to protect the winter bees

I usually treat secondish week of September with vaping course which isn't temperature related like some of the other treatments used.

This year for me will be earlier then normal for vaping treatment due to my major surgery that is due.
Yes bees do rear winter bees but this is a mid Autumn onwards affair not a summer affair, treatment is about timing and ridding the bees of mites and virus loads . Carried out too early then one runs the chance of mite build up again which I could encounter with my colonies this year so they will be hit again mid to late October if I can manage it.

Last edited:
That’s certainly what David Evans reckons. It makes a lot of sense.
The guys and girls on here are quite innovative and move with the times , they don't follow the crowd and bespoke their practices to the prevailing conditions of their locale.
If one is checking for rvarroa load during the year then one adapts treatments to suit the loads. Too early and one risks contaminating the honey crop , ok is one is only averaging the BBKA 25lbs p.a. but alot of us experience far greater crops via our management techniques and the forage availability. Here forage continuse often quite well in to September and then the Ivy flows start.

not supposed to do that with supers on…although I’m not sure if it’s a case of ‘its not ideal to vape with supers on but your honey will be perfectly safe to eat if you do’…..,,or ‘you absolutely can’t vape with supers on as it will ruin your honey and make it unfit to consume’
US regs. permit vaping while supers are on, as it was found that residual OA was negligible and did not exceed background levels.

The EU concluded many years ago that the maximum residue level (MRL) in honey did not warrant the setting of a level.

Note that the UK did not contribute to the research costs of the European effort to establish an MRL.

You may wish to consider the evidence and determine the outcome of treating with supers, and act accordingly.

Attachments

• reg_2010_37_en_0.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • os_mrl_e.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
US regs. permit vaping while supers are on, as it was found that residual OA was negligible and did not exceed background levels.

The EU concluded many years ago that the maximum residue level (MRL) in honey did not warrant the setting of a level.

Note that the UK did not contribute to the research costs of the European effort to establish an MRL.

You may wish to consider the evidence and determine the outcome of treating with supers, and act accordingly.
So the Americans and the Europeans both vape with supers on? I wonder why we insist on making things difficult for ourselves here in the UK. Similarly with the necessity to vape apibioxal as opposed to pure OA which seems to be considered fine to use elsewhere too

So the Americans and the Europeans both vape with supers on? I wonder why we insist on making things difficult for ourselves here in the UK. Similarly with the necessity to vape apibioxal as opposed to pure OA which seems to be considered fine to use elsewhere too
OA is covered by a law on poisonous substances, it's not available to individuals.

OA is covered by a law on poisonous substances, it's not available to individuals.
A variable regulation: APC on eBay now sell only to those holding a Home Office licence or to a Limited Company with a valid application; Restorate sell to anyone, but state that the product is reportable (effect on retail sale unknown); others sell online to anybody as much as they want (and confuse hygroscopic and hydroscopic in the info).

Latest posts

Back