Supers and Oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Happy Christmas, snowing here in France so snow on Christmas Day.

Some bee keepers put their supers under the main brood chamber not on top, they say that in passing through the super they deposit more honey, is there any good arguments for above or under? Also if when dribbling Oxalic acid you mix with 1 to 1 sugar and water the bees will invest the solution and therefore take acid internally, does this then kill them?

Bees like their stores above the brood. When a nectar gathering bee returns home she passes it to a a house bee who adds enzymes to it and then passes it to another and another eventually ending up in a cell. Pollen on the other hand is put in the cell by the bee who collected it.
Unless of course you mean for winter when some beekeepers put a super of uncapped honey they can't extract under for the bees to move up round them for winter.
One dose of dribbled oxalic won't kill many bees but to my mind vaping is a better way at this time of year provided it's not to cold and the bees are in a tight cluster

bees will invest the solution and therefore take acid internally, does this then kill them?
The mite must have physical out contact to the acid syrup. It is strenght of acid which kills the mite.

There is no such medicine which make the bee poisonous to varroa. Then it would be easy to kill all varroa.

Last edited:
Bees like their stores above the brood. When a nectar gathering bee returns home she passes it to a a house bee who adds enzymes to it and then passes it to another and another eventually ending up in a cell. Pollen on the other hand is put in the cell by the bee who collected it.
Unless of course you mean for winter when some beekeepers put a super of uncapped honey they can't extract under for the bees to move up round them for winter.
One dose of dribbled oxalic won't kill many bees but to my mind vaping is a better way at this time of year provided it's not to cold and the bees are in a tight cluster
So I guess from your reply you see no benefit from having supers under, thanks for the reply I will defiantly vaporise next year after all I have read and heard it sound the best solution to controlling varoa.

Latest posts

Back