Supermarket honey price ridiculously low - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you just do that...a link to a paywalled Tory rag saying effectively that a Labour MP. took the best part of half a million from a Chinese spy. No explanation of whether the MP was aware she was a spy (if she is) and of what the money was for or what was done with it....and none of this in any way connected with honey. :)

MI5 released the name, she's working for the Chinese giving money to various UK politicians. Not just Labour but that chap did get quite a chunk of money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59984380

Didn't you just do that...a link to a paywalled Tory rag saying effectively that a Labour MP. took the best part of half a million from a Chinese spy. No explanation of whether the MP was aware she was a spy (if she is) and of what the money was for or what was done with it....and none of this in any way connected with honey. :)
Just balancing the books ... I'm pretty apolitical these days... not much time for either side at present. Sadly, in the last 50 years or so, the vast majority of politicians who have reached the the top of the political tree in any party seem to lose a grasp of reality, integrity and honesty.

In the post war years those in politics had come through possibly the worst experience anyone could bear - many of them also faced world war one as well and certainly the aftermath of both wars. They went into politics with a desire to make a better country and a better world whereas now, it seems to me, the race to the top is more about how much 'income' can be generated and less about public service.

I have massive respect for some MP's on the back benches in all parties but it appears to me that, unless you toe the party line, the opportunities for advancement are limited and we end up with mediocre yes men and women. So we find lickspittles at the top, out of touch with reality and the public at large - spitting and throwing stones (metaphorically, of course) across the floor of the House of Commons.

MI5 released the name, she's working for the Chinese giving money to various UK politicians
I think Gardiner's words were basically, whatever she thought she was going to get out of it, she definitely got a very poor return for her 'investment'

Yes and just because she dropped the ‘O’ and used a ‘U’ instead doesn’t change the way it’s pronounced . Therefore it shouldn’t be called anything that can be misconstrued as Honey
I say hunny but then I’m a Northern lad .
There’s nowt pretentious about Northern lads 😂

Yes and if I heard you I’d know you were talking about the real thing, or a nice lady you saw in your youth….not talking about some vegan pretend trash food
My response was a joke hence the emoji.😊

Saw these today. 10% honey 90 % syrup. At least they honestly label it! Though seems totally pointless. Wonder if it tastes just like supermarket honey........

Attachments

• 20220203_105624.jpg
    20220203_105624.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 20220203_105652.jpg
    20220203_105652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 20220203_105824.jpg
    20220203_105824.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20220203_105835.jpg
    20220203_105835.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
The dumpy round jar had a lump of somthing that alledges to be honey comb in it ( had a look of a specimen in formaldehyde from a biology lab). The squeezey bottle and tall jar are just 90/10 syrup honey mix.

Just balancing the books ... I'm pretty apolitical these days... not much time for either side at present. Sadly, in the last 50 years or so, the vast majority of politicians who have reached the the top of the political tree in any party seem to lose a grasp of reality, integrity and honesty.

In the post war years those in politics had come through possibly the worst experience anyone could bear - many of them also faced world war one as well and certainly the aftermath of both wars. They went into politics with a desire to make a better country and a better world whereas now, it seems to me, the race to the top is more about how much 'income' can be generated and less about public service.

I have massive respect for some MP's on the back benches in all parties but it appears to me that, unless you toe the party line, the opportunities for advancement are limited and we end up with mediocre yes men and women. So we find lickspittles at the top, out of touch with reality and the public at large - spitting and throwing stones (metaphorically, of course) across the floor of the House of Commons.
As there is no compelling reason to tell the truth or keep one’s word populist, autocratic and nationalistic leaders will continue to pursue their own narrow interests with little regard to the rule of law, human rights etc.........

The dumpy round jar had a lump of somthing that alledges to be honey comb in it ( had a look of a specimen in formaldehyde from a biology lab). The squeezey bottle and tall jar are just 90/10 syrup honey mix.
Do you feel up to doing a taste test? ;)

After seeing the program I was having the standard debate with SWMBO regarding "Hunny". Her comment was "why does it bother you? You won't lose any sales cos a vegan won't buy your honey anyway! "
What could I say...... she's got a point.
I always assumed vegans wouldn’t eat honey but I was reading a thread on FB the other day where beekeepers were saying their vegan friends were happy to eat their honey as they knew they bees were being well cared for by them. So I guess there are vegans who are happy to bend the rules when it suits.
I have absolutely no issue with veganism as a healthy diet but it often goes unacknowledged that unless everything is home grown (even then) you can be assured that small creatures have died, been killed, been exploited in the process of your food production.

I always assumed vegans wouldn’t eat honey but I was reading a thread on FB the other day where beekeepers were saying their vegan friends were happy to eat their honey as they knew they bees were being well cared for by them. So I guess there are vegans who are happy to bend the rules when it suits.
I have absolutely no issue with veganism as a healthy diet but it often goes unacknowledged that unless everything is home grown (even then) you can be assured that small creatures have died, been killed, been exploited in the process of your food production.
You are right about vegans varying their criteria depending on animal welfare. My daughter is vegan because, being an employee of 'Compassion in World Farming' she sees some pretty horrendous sights. She does however have my honey.because she is pretty sure I treat the bees well.

Just like there are "vegetarians" who eat fish? 🤔

I've got a vegan friend who eats the honey from my bees even though they're clearly exploited. I'd wager though that the bees used to pollinate almonds for the milk on his morning cereal are in a far worse predicament than mine.

I've decided my bees are exploiting me. I provide them with food when supplies are scarce, perform regular health and well-being checks through the season, help with parasite control and provide them with a nice, insulated home that protects them from predators. They occasionally hurt me in return whilst concurrently self-harming. ;)

Almost as bad as being a cat owner.

[QUOTE="Wilco, post: 809098, member: 19567]
cat owner.
[/QUOTE]
Surely an oxymoron?

Latest posts

Back