Supermarket honey price ridiculously low - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The price of the 'honey' at supermarkets is ridiculously low.

With most prices going up why is this? Could this be a benefit of Brexit for the (unenlightened) consumer?

. . . . Ben
LidlHoney.jpg

Been round this fairly recently ... it's been a few good years worldwide for honey and this is a blend of EU and Non-Eu honeys. Lidl will do anything to keep the prices for KVI's as low as possible ... but - they are not your competiton ... ignore it.

Going to try and sell mine for less than this forum suggests but more than the local market.
I have an alternative suggestion.
Buy a few pots of this “stuff” and offer it as a taster alongside your honey
Then charge a decent price or give the customer a jar of the “stuff” free

I have an alternative suggestion.
Buy a few pots of this “stuff” and offer it as a taster alongside your honey
Then charge a decent price or give the customer a jar of the “stuff” free

Yes, I've bought a jar of the Lidl stuff. Worried most testers will be too undiscerning to tell the difference. It might get expensive.

It's scandalous the UK don't adopted the new honey testing regulations tp and China is dumping "honey" @ €1 per kg on us
The Chinese dump honey on many countries, what makes you think we are so special!

Cheap super market honey at 70p a jar should be an irrelevance to most small or medium sized beekeepers, it’s not the market your in or want. I’d be more concerned with local beeks knocking it out at £4-5 per lb

The Chinese dump honey on many countries, what makes you think we are so special!
The reason we are special is because we have the worst testing regime in Europe. It's easier to get it to market in the UK

The reason we are special is because we have the worst testing regime in Europe. It's easier to get it to market in the UK
Really has there been an influx since we left or drop in existing standards.? Does not some Chinese honey come in as a blend of EU and non EU honeys. So we could assume rightly it’s already in the EU.

Latest posts

Back