Supering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On checking the hives yesterday I found one that had over wintered as brood and a half (national brood with a super) and was absolutely pouring out of the hive, I’m sure the colony is bigger now than it was at the end of last season! Both the brood box and the super were full of brood and stores, so I added another super. Seems quite early: Has anyone else any colonies that seem to be doing well?

In the same apiary I had one colony lost with stores remaining so I assume it was the cold, and another that I need to give extra feed.

Martin

Did you feed syrup in the autumn?
I would have thought that the full super you had on is packed with syrup not honey. I doubt the climate up in your little corner is much different to the rest of Wales or the UK for that matter so where will they have found nectar?
I'd take the new super off - hopefully in the next few weeks, as they are so active, they will clear the existing super of stores for brooding then you can appraise the situation as to whether they are bringing enough forage in to store.

Did you feed syrup in the autumn?
I would have thought that the full super you had on is packed with syrup not honey. I doubt the climate up in your little corner is much different to the rest of Wales or the UK for that matter so where will they have found nectar?
I'd take the new super off - hopefully in the next few weeks, as they are so active, they will clear the existing super of stores for brooding then you can appraise the situation as to whether they are bringing enough forage in to store.

:iagree: what you want to try and avoid is them moving syrup from the brood areas into supers, spoils the honey! Try and let them use as much as possible. In Harlech I would think gorse is your main provider at the moment.
E

I had similar thoughts, but this colony over wintered on stores collected last autumn and haven't been fed. My initial idea was to let them use some stores, get settled and just grow at a gentle pace but after a week of watching/checking I felt there was no option but to give them more room. We've had very mild days here, especially where this apiary is, cold at night, but they’ve been flying during the day for a few weeks (not every day obviously but most) and collecting something, possibly gorse as there is plenty (quite dark orange/brown)

The main puzzle is why one colony from three is doing so well when one died and the other is just ‘ok’. It was bigger going into winter so perhaps that’s it, or perhaps the fact that they wintered on their own stores. I’ll keep watching them.

Martin

they could have robbed another colony out.

How unhelpful is that? Other contributors to this thread have assumed syrup was fed. There wasn't any as the itiator of the thread has now confirmed so why waste the effort?

There is no reason whatsoever not to add another super - but over the QE please.

How unhelpful is that? Other contributors to this thread have assumed syrup was fed. There wasn't any as the itiator of the thread has now confirmed so why waste the effort?

There is no reason whatsoever not to add another super - but over the QE please.

got out of the wrong side of the bed did you

My bad, bees dont rob out other weaker colonies

Last edited:
On checking the hives yesterday I found one that had over wintered as brood and a half (national brood with a super) and was absolutely pouring out of the hive, I’m sure the colony is bigger now than it was at the end of last season! Both the brood box and the super were full of brood and stores, so I added another super. Seems quite early: Has anyone else any colonies that seem to be doing well?

In the same apiary I had one colony lost with stores remaining so I assume it was the cold, and another that I need to give extra feed.

Martin

How much brood is there? Not seams of bees.

And that was what I was wondering too.
First thing to suspect when one prospers excessively and its neighbour dwindles for no other apparent reason.
Reduced entrances should be standard fit for almost all of the year...

is a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

I had similar thoughts, but this colony over wintered on stores collected last autumn and haven't been fed. My initial idea was to let them use some stores, get settled and just grow at a gentle pace but after a week of watching/checking I felt there was no option but to give them more room. We've had very mild days here, especially where this apiary is, cold at night, but they’ve been flying during the day for a few weeks (not every day obviously but most) and collecting something, possibly gorse as there is plenty (quite dark orange/brown)

The main puzzle is why one colony from three is doing so well when one died and the other is just ‘ok’. It was bigger going into winter so perhaps that’s it, or perhaps the fact that they wintered on their own stores. I’ll keep watching them.

Martin
In which case I would have done what you did....
Sorry, I wrongly presumed you had fed..
E

Thanks all, good thoughts. The robbing scenario could be quite reasonable. If that was the case would the stronger colony completely empty the weaker?

Brood: I didn’t examine further than finding the first frame with some, at the time I wasn’t really interested in how extensively the queen was laying, more pleased/shocked that she was. I made the assumption that the colony was so large she must be quite active and had been for a while. Of course my main concern now is if the queen is laying extensively and the weather turns then there will be many mouths to feed and less chance to gather stores. I’ll keep up regular checks.

Martin

would the stronger colony completely empty the weaker?

YES

they're lovely and cuddly but can be ruthless little b+stards when they set their mind to it! The first time it happened to me was robbing out a nuc I made up = it was totally emptied by the next day.

I had one colony lost with stores remaining so I assume it was the cold

You cannot just assume that is the reason.

As an after-thought there may be the possibility of transferring a frame of emerging brood to help out your other colony, provided both (particularly the donor colony) are healthy.

Last edited:
No, you're quite right, but it seemed most reasonable given the bitter winter,

Martin

You cannot just assume that is the reason

he's right of course - it might have been Eastern Europeans pillaging our beehives now they've fished-out all our carp ponds!

You cannot just assume that is the reason

he's right of course - it might have been Eastern Europeans pillaging our beehives now they've fished-out all our carp ponds!

:nono: Oooh now now! must be PC you know - next thing you'll be accusing them diddy men people then there'll be a wailing and a hand wringing :biggrinjester:

Back