supercedure question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menteth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
I have a hive (national). It swarmed last week, (and I caught the swarm & they're doing well).
I opened the old hive 2 days ago- There are 6 capped queen cells getting close to hatching.
Shall I leave them all be?
OR Shall I get rid of them all except 1 (someone has suggested leave the strongest). IF so, how do I know which is strongest?
I'd hate to have relentless swarming.
What shall I do?
Thanks all

There are 6 capped queen cells getting close to hatching.
Shall I leave them all be?

No. They could throw five casts! Simple maths that!

Reduce to two - the best looking and with 'ripe' tips and hope they don't throw a cast, or take a chance with just the one cell.

Very simple really.

I'm a chancer I leave only one queen cell. 90% of the time it works out ok, but the other 10% when it does not got to plan, well that's a real bummer.

The other choice is to knock them both down and buy in a mated queen

If they are close to hatching / emerging I would make up a mating hive with a cupful of bees, cut out the ones you don't want....cut through the comb to make sure you get everything ...be gentle enough not to damage them...sharp blade :)
Put them in 'hair rollers' and pop into the mating hive....if close enough to emergence and not damaged you should get a few queens and, if in a roller, you can then decide what to do with them.
I have done that and also brought some indoors to hatch out it a little plastic container....was good watching them and even better when they get mated and start laying up.

I did make the mistake a couple of years ago of leaving two cells....they swarmed and also a cast swarm.....left with very little bees and had to buy in a new queen :(

Just my penny's worth

Last edited:
I'm a chancer I leave only one queen cell. 90% of the time it works out ok, but the other 10% when it does not got to plan, well that's a real bummer.

The other choice is to knock them both down and buy in a mated queen

I LEAVE ONLY ONE, BUT I ALSO TAKE A NUC WITH A QUEEN CELL GIVES A BIT MORE INSURANCE

Thanks for advice everyone. There were actually 7 cells. Left 2 (which were right next to each other). Fingers crossed.
In the week since the queen left, they've filled a super. They've clearly got nothing better to do.
Thanks for your splendid advice everyone.

Latest posts

Back