Supercedure cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi-e

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 at the bottom of the garden.
On my previous inspection on the 2nd May there was larvae and capped brood, but couldn't see any eggs (weather was rubbish, grey and cold) so I was in a rush. There were 2 sealed queen cells. I took out 3 frames of brood (larvae and sealed brrod including 1 QC and split them into a nuc, with feed and 3 frames of foundation. I replaced 3 frames of foundation into the brood box.
Today(13 May)it was warmer and sunny I checked the hive (they are on brood and a half) and there was no sign of eggs or larvae, but some capped brood. No sign of the QC I had left, and 1 well developed supercedure in the middle of one of the 1/2 frames.
I am guessing that the queen was present and pulled down the original queen cell that was left on the 2nd May. She then swarmed and the supercedure cell has been made.
Does this sound as if I am on the right track? The question is how long should I now leave it until I inspect the hive again. I want to leave time for the queen to hatch and get mated, rather than keep looking and upsetting them. The trouble is that 3 weeks seems like an awful long time. Any advice please. I have read my book and checked my notes, just not sure.

My non expert read of that is

1. Likely they had swarmed by 2nd May as QCs were capped and no eggs
2. Removing one of the two sealed QCs prompted them to make more, but a distinct lack of available material of suitable age meant only one?
3. First sealed queen cell hatched and cast swarmed, bees pulled down the hatched QC
4. You have a (perhaps not very viable) emergency queen in the remaining QC.

Not sure what to do next - perhaps wait for both main colony and nuc virgins to see if they mate. Check viability of emergency queen and reunite if no good, or if she's OK then make the increase if that's what you wanted.

The risk, in my opinion is the decline in the main colony over the 2-3 weeks that may end up with a non viable queen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back