One charged queen cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A queen right hive, with brood & eggs.
Found just one charged queen cell, good shape & well attended to by worker bees. Def no more QC’s.
I know I could nuc the queen but decided to leave well alone as I have enough hives & nucs.
Am presuming supercedure is that likely with just one QC what would others do?

If I was in full nectar flow I would nuc the queen but if the flow has eased off I might risk it.

in full nectar flow I would nuc the queen
I would let them supersede on a strong flow, based on the premise that bees will have given up the idea of replication in favour of acquisition, and would be likely to allow supersedure.

Bear in mind that removal of the queen to a nuc might mess up supersedure, as the absence of pheromone is likely to produce EQCs.

I would let them supersede on a strong flow, based on the premise that bees will have given up the idea of replication in favour of acquisition, and would be likely to allow supersedure.

Bear in mind that removal of the queen to a nuc might mess up supersedure, as the absence of pheromone is likely to produce EQCs.
I work on the theory that if they do swarm you lose half your workforce.

Latest posts

Back