super frames ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
who are the best company to buy super frames , a freind of mine who has just started asked me this question and i always get seconds , but i can not find seconds now ,,,, so who do people reccomend

Ross at Beehivesupplies has some reasonable ones from Check Republic at moment.... better than the Chinese ones from the pet people near Exeter on eBay
All seem to vary
Price does not it seems dictate quality!!!

Yeghes da

Try CWJ - they usually have second quality available (but maybe not at this time of year)

CWJ frame stock is usually more than 90% seconds. They have the sense to know firsts are not good value and the bees don't much care either. CWJ take a lot of care with their customers and if possible are worth a visit to this lovely family run business.

I would not purchase seconds myself, the most cost effective way of buying frames is to bite the bullet and buy them per 100 or even 1000, only you can decide how many you need. Nothing worse than buying a load of seconds and finding that 2 in 10 are not good enough. Looking at the frame prices on various suppliers website's theres not a lot of difference in prices.

I recently bought from CWJ, service was good very happy. I found though, the stock they were selling were from thornes!

I would not purchase seconds myself, the most cost effective way of buying frames is to bite the bullet and buy them per 100 or even 1000, only you can decide how many you need. Nothing worse than buying a load of seconds and finding that 2 in 10 are not good enough. Looking at the frame prices on various suppliers website's theres not a lot of difference in prices.

I have always purchased seconds from Big T's sales in October, but year by year, I'm finding more failures, due to knots, but to be honest, I only find 3 out of 100 fail!

So that's not bad for the price of second frames at £25.

However, I ran out of deep frames and I needed some, so I purchased recently first frames for the first time, and I must say they are good quality.

Actually in my experience it's quite the opposite. The price difference of 2nd's in the sale is means that you can buy almost double for the same price and again from the manufacturers I have bought I find very little that is not usable!
I still bought in large numbers so that I always have a stock and to save on P&P.

Sorry, I think you're talking rubbish made up over 500 'second quality' frames this season - only issues I've had is that about four of the wedges have broken in two due to dead knots - solution? one extra gimp pin in each

C Wynne Jnes.had seconds in stock last week as i bought some, but for show frames for Comb in honey shows i use Park Beekeeping Supplies as their frames are knot free and fine grain wood. They therefore clean up well for showing

many thanks c wynne jones has them ,,,so my friend sends a big thanks ,,,,,and i also have always purchased seconds ,as jenkinsbrynmair says just a extra gimp pin

Sorry, I think you're talking rubbish made up over 500 'second quality' frames this season - only issues I've had is that about four of the wedges have broken in two due to dead knots - solution? one extra gimp pin in each

If you can see what you are buying thats fine, as you can look over them first! I would certainly not but seconds without first seeing them.

If you can see what you are buying thats fine, as you can look over them first! I would certainly not but seconds without first seeing them.

They are usually sold in lots of 50 in strapped together, so even if you give them a quick look over, you will only see a few & then not entirely. Agree with JBM, after putting hundreds together I find only the odd piece unusable. I save the other bits as spares for the next lot. I put all the dodgy bits into one frame, so if we get a failure then nothing much is lost. Even then they are all still in one piece. Oh apart from one lug which fell off (knot) 2 nails soon fixed that.

Latest posts

Back