Super being filled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Supered my bees with undrawn foundation last Weds and today I have 5 drawn frames all partially filled with nectar!:hurray:

There was a nectar surplus here last week. Not so, the last two days - they are back to water carting instead:(

RAB

Dandelions?? Here in Northumberland I don't expect to see a Dandelion for another month. B***er,Bu***r,Bug**r.

There was a nectar surplus here last week. Not so, the last two days - they are back to water carting instead:(

RAB
RAB - Interested in your comment - how can you tell there was a nectar surplus (no, thats not a snide question, its genuine)

keithgrimes,

By 'simple observation' is the easy answer.

The combs were loaded with a suspicious watery liquid which unfortunately ran out when I inspected one frame on one colony. The bees were later seen scavenging under that hive for the drips which went through the OMF. I suppose they could have filled the frames with river water, but I somehow doubt it. So, for a very warm day I was confident it was nectar.

Similarly, the home garden bees had ceased collecting water in the warmer weather (and the very weak sugar solution in the Dartington remained untouched for several days). They have used some these last two days (I looked, as I need not disturb the frames to do that) and there are large numbers of bees back on the water sources (just outside the house) again.

They are certainly not storing it as honey in a super yet but I did put a drawn-comb super on one hive last week. It may get used as a second brood, but I shall not worry about that.

Regards, RAB

Dandelions are everywhere down here as my Cornish compatriot said.

Still plenty of Willow, masses of Gorse like you wouldn't believe and plenty of Blackthorn.

Brood over 8 frames and sticking comb everywhere they can.
Might have to (reluctantly) go to a brood and a half......Plan is to phase to 14x12's from here on...................
serious question....is National the right size for any colony??...

Me too and mine was going mad after a one type of tree with what looks like a type of catkins on them, tree must of had a 4foot trunk on it so quite a tall tree.

"serious question....is National the right size for any colony??..."

That's a question I'm asking myself. As my inventory is 5 national brood boxes, 13 supers and a collection of floors, QEs and cover boards etc I'm not inclined to re-invest in new equipment.

My current queen could probably benefit from extra space but I think adding a Super creates problems - and I physically couldn't cope with hefting a second full size BB.

So I'll carry on with a single National BB and try and accommodate their swarming instincts.

I think i was told to add a eke then use commercial frames in the BB.might be wrong best check .As i have a Nat now and i now it's to small for the type of bees in it so if the eke bit is right thats what i'm going to do.

Eke of around 90mm and go to 14 x 12s. One heavy box when full, copared with a deep National.

Regards, RAB

rab

that's my point - a full 9" National brood box is just about all I can easily manage to lift.

rich

Are you fellas on about adding extra to a smaller box to make it into a commercial size?
I forget that other people are on smaller sizes LOL

I only have commercial hives myself, no problem lifting them.

Anyhow, i popped a super on two days ago with 5 frames in (thats all i had at the time) managed to get some more foundation today and made up some more frames. When i added them to the super this afternoon, the first 5 were already drawn. I didnt stop to look if they were putting anything in there as it was particularly cold today with the rain and all. But i think they must be bored or something to draw out 5 frames in two days.

Less of the LOL, Meryl

but you give a good example as a Commercial is too heavy for me to move around

Wightbees - Just to be clear - the eke extention to a National Brood lets it take 14 x 12 frames it will not take Commercial sized frames, they are 16 x 10. Hope this helps you decision.

Mike

Wightbees - Just to be clear - the eke extention to a National Brood lets it take 14 x 12 frames it will not take Commercial sized frames, they are 16 x 10. Hope this helps you decision.

Mike
A standard national brood box will take either 14x12 or commercial brood frames,there are two types of converter,for commercial frames it's called a hamilton convertor.

Eke of around 90mm and go to 14 x 12s. One heavy box when full, copared with a deep National.

Regards, RAB

RAB is right that you need 90mm, but the quick / cheap way to do this is to purchase 18mm 94mm wide planed wood from B&Q at 2.4m lenths, just cop it up! Done 4 of mine that way. R

Latest posts

Back