sugar @tescos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
dont know if this is of any use but I've just bought 15kg of tate and lyles sugar, they are doing 5kg bags for £3.99

:( horrible shop especially for sugar :( but decent price

Tesco, scourge of the High Street.

Only buy special offers and loss leaders.

I bought 1kg bags in Bookers 2 weeks ago that worked out as 83p a kg, and Tescos £3.99 for a 5kg bag works out @ 80p a kg

57p a pound where can you find it cheaper (without buying it by the tonne)?

50p or less a kg,but you do need to buy it all the time,which adds up to many tons....some big companys do this,some are even free.;)

80p a kilo is back where prices were in early september before T (& W - pricematching; thanks) increased their prices (the former ahead of their BIG PRICE DROP promotion where they had audacity to advertise a previous HIGHER price for sugar - presumably charged in a single central london Metro).

Remind me why this is known as 'Rip Off Britain'?
(Just a silly comparison: I only buy Doc Marten shoes because they're comfortable. British made £60 a pair. They moved their production to China because it was cheaper. Cost to UK customer now.............. £60 a pair! Oh yeah, that's cheaper :banghead:)

What's that got to do with sugar you ask? Nothing I say, lol. I've had a long day.

Remind me why this is known as 'Rip Off Britain'?
(Just a silly comparison: I only buy Doc Marten shoes because they're comfortable. British made £60 a pair. They moved their production to China because it was cheaper. Cost to UK customer now.............. £60 a pair! Oh yeah, that's cheaper :banghead:)

What's that got to do with sugar you ask? Nothing I say, lol. I've had a long day.

Look at the price of a Kindle in the US to here, then look at Amazons weasel words of justification:cuss:

not necessarily a rip off - unless people are willing to pay for a specific quality product at sensible price then manufacturers will seek cheapest viable source.

UK consumer is price conscious - hence why makers have to shift abroad to compete.

not necessarily a rip off - unless people are willing to pay for a specific quality product at sensible price then manufacturers will seek cheapest viable source.

UK consumer is price conscious - hence why makers have to shift abroad to compete.
moving their factories to cheaper countries often means a lesser quality product, I have seen this many times in the last decade, for example; Penn, Dr Martins, Caterpillar boots, Abu, Snapon canon and retail price stays the same. Agree Rip of Britain, I left the GREAT out on purpose

precisely - UK consumer wants price not quality - hence prominence of primark etc.

buy less; buy better - if that could be got across UK manufacturing would have a chance.

problem is we've lost the skill set - even high end brands (where cost is no object) have to source abroad as no artisans here.

take the latest Mary Queen of Shops knicker project - managed to find last UK supplier of stretch lace in Nottingham.

Last edited:
The big Clothing companies make me sick, you buy their products and you pay to advertise their name printed across the front, just like Tesco carrier bags you pay 5p to advertise their name that's why I take a M&S bag to Tescos and Asda

"only the broken bags of course."

tesco carriers? useless - spilt with anything more than one thin magazine in them and biodegrade when used for storing things, leaving a trail of debris when picked up.

Latest posts

Back