sugar @tescos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Americans claim to have landed on the Moon seems to fall down when you consider they worked in impossible fractional imperial 4 foot 8 and 1/2 inches 3 31/64ths inch etc
They have not worked in fractions for decades, they use decimals like everyone else. If you're building aerospace components all the dimensions are in inches and quoted to three or more decimal places. Thousandths if you like, or 'thou' which will be familiar to most classic car mechanics.

Curiously, the auto industry is now so global that all cars are built to metric specs, even those built in the US and intended only for US distribution. On the other hand, the only 100% metric planes are Russian :eek:. There are imperial thread screws (actually UNF) throughout any Airbus; mostly because the majority of manufacturers of aero certified components are still in the US or have a substantial trade there. :)

As far as I am concerned the whole dammed country is confused. The milk delivered to my door step is 1 pt the whiskey I buy is 70cl compared to the pint of Guinness.
Any ideas why whisky (and other spirits) is sold in 700 ml bottles while wine is 750 ml? Is any explanation lost in the mists of time?

To add to the headline topic, I saw Iceland had 1Kg bags of Whitworth white sugar at 89p. If you are buying in small quantities, it might be cheaper than the 98p that appears elsewhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back