sugar syrup question..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
i made up sugar syrup last week for my three hives,i put it on two of the hives but the last one still had some fondant on and they were happy feedding on it so i just left them,the sugar syrup had been in the contact feeder in the boot of my car since,would it still be okay to feed to them,i will be putting it on this week some time, does it settle and go bad after a while?...i have added nothin til the syrup other than sugar and water.
Darren

i made up sugar syrup last week for my three hives,i put it on two of the hives but the last one still had some fondant on and they were happy feedding on it so i just left them,the sugar syrup had been in the contact feeder in the boot of my car since,would it still be okay to feed to them,i will be putting it on this week some time, does it settle and go bad after a while?...i have added nothin til the syrup other than sugar and water.
Darren

My mentor reckons end of March before we feed syrup. He did tell me why but I was dosed up on painkillers and just looking at the pretty bees lol, someone will explain why.

I personally think it depends on area- colder North still fondant as the bees are not so mobile- but in the warmer South I am putting syrup on smaller colonies to give boost and extra fluids to clean the colony.
Syrup will be ok if kept in bottle etc. in a cold area. I would discard after 2 weeks..

I personally think it depends on area- colder North still fondant as the bees are not so mobile- but in the warmer South I am putting syrup on smaller colonies to give boost and extra fluids to clean the colony.
Syrup will be ok if kept in bottle etc. in a cold area. I would discard after 2 weeks..

extra fluids to clean the colony...what does this mean,can you explain more?only starting my second year as a bee keeper so am sure this is a silly question.
Darren

Do keep away from NSAIDS when inspecting bees. There is a link with sensitisation and the development of severe allergic reaction.

Thank you. I can't take them though because of asthma. Codiene based, lots of codiene lol

Latest posts

Back