Suction honey filter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witchcraft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently purchased from a well know national bee kit retailer a suction hive filter - basically a bucket with filter and pump to evacuate some of the air below the filter to suck the honey through. Anyone here got any experience of it and able to offer hints and tips. To me my standard double mesh filter was as quick if not quicker...

For excellent honey filtering buy a spin drier. ;)

PH

Yawn.... stainless steel.... and a bit of plastic.. now what is the usual honey gate made from?

After a few tons it is food grade I assure you. ;)

PH

I recently purchased from a well know national bee kit retailer a suction hive filter - basically a bucket with filter and pump to evacuate some of the air below the filter to suck the honey through. Anyone here got any experience of it and able to offer hints and tips. To me my standard double mesh filter was as quick if not quicker...

vacuum filtration is a standard process used in labs and industry
it allows fine filters to be used even with heavy particulate loads. I was thinking of using it myself.

Any air leak will ruin the performance.

in comparing that perfomance you need to compare areas and mesh size

Last edited:
What problem are you having with it?

Its a system that has been on the go now for many years but has never taken off. That begs the question why?

PH

Strainaway filters are excellent bits of kit. Rather than imagining the vacuum pulling the honey through think of it as just helping as you shear the honey through with the plastic paddle provided. It makes the creamiest soft set if you get it right.

Latest posts

Back