Stripy Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Do you think it could catch on?

Just the scrapings from the top of three batches of honey in the settling tanks before jarring and looks rather nice. Could be interesting to see how many stripes could be possible.

I had no idea you could do that with honey. Are they different densities, or did you just pour very carefully? I wonder if they'll stay separate or gradually merge? You could corner a niche market there, at exclusive prices ;)

I had no idea you could do that with honey. Are they different densities, or did you just pour very carefully? I wonder if they'll stay separate or gradually merge? You could corner a niche market there, at exclusive prices ;)

They will separate on their own .. I've got a jar that is half pure Borage honey and half 'run of the mill'. The borage sits at the top of the jar and if you turn it over then it just separates again .. I was originally trying to mix the two as the Borage is a very light but distinct flavour and the other honey was a bit on the heavy and sweeter side. So much for that experiment !

I suspect if you were to really mix it up with a stirrer in the tank before bottling it may be possible to blend it .. someone on here will know ?

They are different batches I always skim off the bubbles from the settling buckets and put them in a jar as it makes the best honey. It just so happens the three batches were distinctive colours. Probably density plays a part but it's more by chance than design. However I will be trying to see how many layers I can manage in the future:)

They will separate on their own .. I've got a jar that is half pure Borage honey and half 'run of the mill'. The borage sits at the top of the jar and if you turn it over then it just separates again .. I was originally trying to mix the two as the Borage is a very light but distinct flavour and the other honey was a bit on the heavy and sweeter side. So much for that experiment !

I suspect if you were to really mix it up with a stirrer in the tank before bottling it may be possible to blend it .. someone on here will know ?

I love borage honey but seldom see it in the stores here, so when I spotted some a couple of weeks ago, I bought 6 jars :drool5:

Lovely, Tom. I have a couple of similar jars in the cupboard; scrapings from the bottom of the tank like yours. :)

It looks amazing, I've only ever seen it done with oils of different viscosities before.

Latest posts

Back