Striped grass/reed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
We went to the Eden Project yesterday and saw a lovely grass/reed, it was spiky a bit like a porcupine and had dark stripes all along against quite a dark green...I thought the name had Rubia in it?

Unfortunately I had forgotten the camera, it wasn't in the plant shop and now I have forgotten the name!!

Anyone got ANY ideas??

could it be this

Pennisetum setaceum - 'Rubrum' (Fountain Grass, Pennisetum)

An amazing new grass with rich burgundy red foliage and beautifully arching spikes of red feathery flowers during late summer

or this

Panicum virgatum 'Rubrum' (Switch grass 'Rubrum')

narrowly upright, clump-forming perennialo grass with flat, linear, purple-red leaves turning bright red in the autumn and panicles of purple-green flower spikelets in autumn turning a chestnut brown in seed

It didn't seem to flower...and the leaves/reed were quite firm...it had the texture/reaction of one of those old fiberoptic lamps with a lovely movement to it...and I DO remember that the sign said nothing about flower.

Was it Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'
We call it zebra grass
E

No- afraid not, the stripes are dark brown/red on a dark green background rather than pale as in Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'

striped grass

sure it wasn't just a porcupine sat minding it's own business???

we have regular visitors stealing poultry/wild bird food over winter.

Hah love it...but if the stripes were narrower and he was green - that would be my plant!!...Just that structure and texture...can you get green porcupines?

No, I'm sure it was a rubia though - But dark green with red stripes and more reed like than grass like...

YES - Proper name is Equisetum Hyemale or horsetail reed grass...ahhh success! Thanks for the suggestions...native to USA & Canada so no surprise no-one recognised the description. :)

Latest posts

Back