input required! Ive just split the hive!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Millet, this is tame from the input I have seen! Thank you to yourself and Erica for the help!

From reading I've seen two methods one to remove queen one to keep original queen in main parent hive. This is what my master plan is:

1.Nuc has a nice circular vent at the front, I'm going to turn it to the vent option so the bees can't get out, maybe the workers can but the queen definitely can't. So she can't swarm off.
2.tomorrow I'm going to drive to collect the rather than it be delivered
3.when I get the hive home I'm going to put the new hive in the original place, put the queen, some brood, some stores, frames and super on
4.move the old hive with the QC's. In to another spot in the garden
5.leave hives for 5 days, see if QC has hatched, remove any new cups or cells in either hive and see if original queen is laying

Thoughts? :)

My advice was to NOT use You-Tube as the fountain of all Knowledge & sit tight till the equipment arrives!

What was wrong with that? ? ?

More like a Sarcastic attempted Piss take , i can do that **** all day long but if you have knowledge to help use it, you may need help one day don't bite the hand.

More like a Sarcastic attempted Piss take , i can do that **** all day long but if you have knowledge to help use it, you may need help one day don't bite the hand.

Totally agree! Where can we learn if we don't ask and share?!

Do you think my plan is sound? (above) many thanks, I also got stung on the face today... Not the best of.days

Totally agree! Where can we learn if we don't ask and share?!

Do you think my plan is sound? (above) many thanks, I also got stung on the face today... Not the best of.days

There are a number of ways of artificially swarming bees ... the key to success is to pick one that is proven and follow the procedure to the letter - don't mix up two or more different methods.

There is some rubbish on You tube I'm afraid and unless you are experienced enough to sort out the wheat from the chaff you can come really unstuck following some of the idiots on there.

What's done is done now .. your initial procedure was correct but without a box capable of taking all the bees that would return to it you are in danger of them swarming again ... Erichalfbee's advice is good .. cobble up a bigger box, using what you have and/or put a bit of queen excluder over the entrance to keep the queen in - then they can't swarm - until you have a bigger box. I would NOT trap them in - with a lot of bees in a small box and warm weather they could well overheat.

Check out this site:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarming.html

where you will find this:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarming_brian_dennis.pdf

and in there are a couple of simple schematics for doing a reliable AS ... Dave Cushman's site is a mine of (usually) good information, although Roger Patterson (who looks after the site since Dave's death) can be a bit pedantic - his way or no way. But .. his methods normally work.

There is also an excellent pamphlet here:

http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/There-Are-Queen-Cells-In-My-Hive-WBKA-WAG.pdf-

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you ?

Last edited:
There are a number of ways of artificially swarming bees ... the key to success is to pick one that is proven and follow the procedure to the letter - don't mix up two or more different methods.

There is some rubbish on You tube I'm afraid and unless you are experienced enough to sort out the wheat from the chaff you can come really unstuck following some of the idiots on there.

What's done is done now .. your initial procedure was correct but without a box capable of taking all the bees that would return to it you are in danger of them swarming again ... Erichalfbee's advice is good .. cobble up a bigger box, using what you have and/or put a bit of queen excluder over the entrance to keep the queen in - then they can't swarm - until you have a bigger box. I would NOT trap them in - with a lot of bees in a small box and warm weather they could well overheat.

Check out this site:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarming.html

where you will find this:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarming_brian_dennis.pdf

and in there are a couple of simple schematics for doing a reliable AS ... Dave Cushman's site is a mine of (usually) good information, although Roger Patterson (who looks after the site since Dave's death) can be a bit pedantic - his way or no way. But .. his methods normally work.

There is also an excellent pamphlet here:

http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/There-Are-Queen-Cells-In-My-Hive-WBKA-WAG.pdf-

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you ?

Thanks, I have flowed looked at the link and followed this, the mesh front of the vent has medium sized holes and I'm hoping the bees can get out but just not the Queen,

Am I right in putting the new hive back to the original spot and putting the Queen right nuc back in the original place and moving the QC hive elsewhere? Obviously the nuc is currently away from the hive atm. Then leave most of the brood in the QC hive?

I'm between Southampton and Portsmouth

Thanks
Clem

Thanks, I have flowed looked at the link and followed this, the mesh front of the vent has medium sized holes and I'm hoping the bees can get out but just not the Queen,

Am I right in putting the new hive back to the original spot and putting the Queen right nuc back in the original place and moving the QC hive elsewhere? Obviously the nuc is currently away from the hive atm. Then leave most of the brood in the QC hive?

I'm between Southampton and Portsmouth

Thanks
Clem
Yes. Two frames of brood in the artificial swarm is plenty. I usually move just the one and make sure it's capped.

Thanks :) mission complete! Queenie is now back in a full size hive in original position, other hive is now facing away.

I knew the extra pallets would come in handy! that is me done for 5 days, let them settle and then hope no nasty surprises on the weekend!

Far more eventful than any of my other pets!

One thing....

Yesterday I got the new hive (one brood box high) transferred my queen back into it with some frames, capped brood and new frames, I put the hive back in original position and turned the old hive at a 90 degree angle (still next to the new hive but facing the other away) however the bees still seem to be hovering around the old hive and not returning to the new hive in the old position, should I be worried??

I would love to send a pic but I cant seem to get it work on this forum..

Try moving the hive to the other side of the original one, rather than just turning the entrance.
I still am unsure, going back to the beginning, why when you had a nuc with the queen on the original site that the flying bees were returning to other big hives next to them, anyway enough said, you seem to have sorted it out now. Well done, the whole swarm thing can get complicated and you have to find the one that suits you best.
The basic method is to think like a bee. Old queen new frames old site and new queen/queen cells, old frames, new site.
But...... There are other methods including vertical methods if you are pressed for room.
Good luck
E

Few reasons,

When reading Dave Cushman he advised to turn the old (QC hive) at a 90degree angle and then after one week move to a 180 degree angle to the new (Queen right) hive which is on original spot, so this is what I thought was best.

I also have done a heavy inspection 2 days on the trot and thought a third would be too much, seeing as the hives are so heavy and I'm no strapping lad to of moved the hive completely out of the way I would of had to dismantle it and set up a new area which I thought would be too traumatic for the bees and for me, I also have an interview tomorrow and couldn't risk another sting to the jaw lol all this aside having read the advise of Dave Cushman thought I did the right thing.

If I leave the old hive where it is until the weekend where I can prepare a site which is about 3foot away in a different direction do you think any harm will be done with most of the bees going to the QC hive? I guess the Queen right hive will be hatching foragers of its own soon.

Please bare in mind the QC hive had a half way finishes QC on Sunday, so I don't want to throw things out too much if a virgin is in there... Oh the drama!

Thanks
Clem

Last edited:
No problem, just giving alternatives, as I said you have to chose what is best for you. :)
E

Thanks :) what I really want to do is what's best, but when doing things the first time this can be a challenge! I might rope in the other half to move the old hive tonight when I can plug the bees in :)

Clem

The further away you move it the less likely the foraging bees are to find it after they fly off tomorrow

Latest posts

Back