Abelo's New Premises.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

Went to pick up my new steam uncapping knife this morning and have a good gander at Abelo’s new premises near Dunnington, just outside of York.
WOW……that is one hell of a beekeeping supplies shop complete with a lovely huge carved wooden St Ambrose statue sat outside….
The amount of stainless steel ware on the rather large shop floor is very very impressive; everything from automatic bottling plants (smaller than I thought they would be….now on my want list), apimelters, heather honey looseners, cappings screws (also now on my want list), extractors, steamers and the widest variety of hive tools I’ve ever seen. Plus lots of things I didn’t even dare ask what they did because I knew I’d want one.
Apparently it’s the grand opening this weekend so if you are at a loose end and anywhere near York go along…you won’t be disappointed….I figure you’ll have a hard time keeping your credit card in your pocket. I know I did….thank goodness I’m working all weekend. Today cost me far too much as it was…..at least I got a free cup of tea!
If you do go it’s the first left turn immediately after you turn off the A1079 York Hull road to Dunnington; they said there will be a sign by the turning…but it wasn’t there today!….just look for the big garage and if you go past costcutters HQ you have gone past the left turn.
Nearly decided to go all Langstroth, the new 9 frame design with lips is excellent and really great value for money.

Last edited:
Live in Solihull. Starting to get jealous now. Some good looking shops to go to and have a mooch. Our nearest is Maismore who i have no complaints over but is not worth going to.

Nearly decided to go all Langstroth, the new 9 frame design with lips is excellent and really great value for money.

Oh dear...not ANOTHER intentionally non compatible variant...where none needed.

Went to pick up my new steam uncapping knife this morning and have a good gander at Abelo’s new premises near Dunnington, just outside of York.
WOW……that is one hell of a beekeeping supplies shop complete with a lovely huge carved wooden St Ambrose statue sat outside….
The amount of stainless steel ware on the rather large shop floor is very very impressive; everything from automatic bottling plants (smaller than I thought they would be….now on my want list), apimelters, heather honey looseners, cappings screws (also now on my want list), extractors, steamers and the widest variety of hive tools I’ve ever seen. Plus lots of things I didn’t even dare ask what they did because I knew I’d want one.
Apparently it’s the grand opening this weekend so if you are at a loose end and anywhere near York go along…you won’t be disappointed….I figure you’ll have a hard time keeping your credit card in your pocket. I know I did….thank goodness I’m working all weekend. Today cost me far too much as it was…..at least I got a free cup of tea!
If you do go it’s the first left turn immediately after you turn off the A1079 York Hull road to Dunnington; they said there will be a sign by the turning…but it wasn’t there today!….just look for the big garage and if you go past costcutters HQ you have gone past the left turn.

Finally we are going to have a good bee supplies warehouse within a reasonable traveling distance in stead of having to do a 8hr round journey further south, hopefully i can get there on Sunday as i need a pile of frames and more of them Abelo Poly supers, i will only take a limited amount of dosh though so i don't get carried away.

Is that the v knife uncapper you bought?

It is, sized for National Frames complete with steam generator.
Looks to be the business and should really speed up what was my major bottleneck last season, the time taken for uncapping. It's fully height adjustable, but I think you need to run one super frame type only...i.e it won't neatly uncap both SN1's and SN4's without being re-adjusted for each type. But I stand to be corrected....practical experience will provide the answer to that.
About time I sorted out my hodgepodge of SN1's SN4's and Manleys super frames.

Last edited:
Live in Solihull. Starting to get jealous now. Some good looking shops to go to and have a mooch. Our nearest is Maismore who i have no complaints over but is not worth going to.

Simon the Beekeeper’s not too far from you, though his place is more of a warehouse than a shop.

I like their hives, and I’ve got a set of the adjustable hive feet, so they’ve already got me as a loyal customer. It’s been online shopping there so far, but Dunnington’s an easy run. Too easy. I think I’ll go over on the Guzzi for a look round. That way I’ll not be tempted into snap purchases.

B@Q Lidl and all the other big food retail companies also resemble warehouses , they don't seem to be doing too bad do they..:rolleyes:

I was looking at the latest Aldi wine list this evening. I’ll be there tomorrow. Ther’s an attractive looking Sicilian red that deserves a trial.

I live in Warwick, (work in Solihull).

There are many smaller suppliers that are very much closer than the Bristol Channel! :ohthedrama:
For example, I get my hive parts from 2 miles away!

I think I’ll go over on the Guzzi for a look round. That way I’ll not be tempted into snap purchases.

But what happens if they're selling Motorbike trailers or roof-racks???

I live in Warwick, (work in Solihull).

There are many smaller suppliers that are very much closer than the Bristol Channel! :ohthedrama:
For example, I get my hive parts from 2 miles away!

I think Dodge’s point is that Beefriendly described Abelo’s new place as an attractive, we’ll laid out place to wander round and browse. I have visited Simon’s premises. Well stocked and with good prices, but there’s not room to browse, so impulse purchasing is less likely.

Why 9 though? perhaps it's similar dimensions to timber Langstroth externally?

I am sticking with Honey Paw.

I would only advise folk to go ONLY with a pattern that allows you to shop around. Go to one that locks you in to a certain type...and some of the makers have been very guilty of this.....and they have you by the short and curlies for the future. These incompatible variants are not required for anything other than commercial advantage, and it seems the UK market falls for it a lot. Beekeepers here seem to be individualistic in their wishes to the point that it costs them a fortune more than it needs to.

Go standard and you have a lot of choices...AND...if it comes to that...the exit strategy is far simpler. Would I buy your bees in standard gear? If up to scratch then yes.....but in non compatible gear? The price would have to reflect the cost of changing over.

The Honey Paw boxes I have seen are good gear. I don't have any of them and no business interest in promoting them.................and would say so if I had any negative views on them.

described Abelo’s new place as an attractive, we’ll laid out place to wander round and browse.
It is indeed. It's great to be able to see so much "high end" beekeeping equipment on display alongside everything else. Wish I'd taken a photo or two. Perhaps someone who is going along this weekend could oblige?

It is indeed. It's great to be able to see so much "high end" beekeeping equipment on display alongside everything else. Wish I'd taken a photo or two. Perhaps someone who is going along this weekend could oblige?

They have temptingly offered biscuits as an incentive, but it's nearly 2 hours drive... They'd have to be blinking good biscuits.

Latest posts

Back