Strapping an achilles??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Hey All...What product should I buy for strapping up a failing Achilles? I have Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis - and it is getting worse as I am walking one (soon to be 2) dogs, with considerable help and aid...I have been threatened by the Dr with considerable time in plaster which I want to avoid if at all possible

I have looked on tinternet and it seems possible to strap it up, but the choices on Amazon etc are baffling for a beginner...All advice gratefully received...apart from 'have the plaster...'

contact these guys, they are a little more expensive that the famous river but they give great service and they are a British company.

http://www.physioroom.com

Thanks! Great site - bought a night splint as well as assorted tape...I will be hobbling in style ;)

yep I have used them for my back supports seem better than the stuff I got from the NHS.

@Q59, The plantar fasciitis (In Spanish Plantar is the ground floor, so appropriate!)

I ended up having cortizone injections in both heels, which helped a lot, but of course is not the ultimate answer. There are exercises to do, which to be honest are not done rigorously but are pretty much the way to go.

I have found the following, stretching the tendons by putting the weight on one foot with the other leg extended out the back and the foot flat on the floor, gives a nice gentle stretch which is very benificiial. I find it particularly useful before I go to bed, as the mornings are when the condition was felt most. A hot bath first thing was quite useful to, although not part of any plan other than keeping clean . . .
A friend got his relief from the condition by rolling a towel into a tube and holding each end in a hand putting the middle around the toes/ball of the foot and stretching the tendons that way.
Most of that isn't a lot of help to yourself, with your Achillies tendon problem, but useful background and helpful to others perhaps.

I have found that lack of hydration is a contributory factor. I feel that often time can run away with me and I realise that I haven't drunk anything for hours. The sinews seem to tighten that little bit as a result. I now make a point of drinking a couple of pints of squash during the day, to ensure that it doesn't happen.

So gentle stretching and positive hydration are the way to go if practicable. I feel the tightness now, but don't have the problem any more.

Beware the demon dehydration! Good luck.

Cheers Hombre - I am trying anything and everything - as we now have our retired guide dog, and our new puppy...reserved before we knew we were able to have Opal back - and after 'persuading' the whole family to have them both I can't turn round and say 'So sorry, sore foot, leg, ankle...you'll have to do the exercising/training...

Well I could, but divorce would be even quicker than usual ;)

Latest posts

Back