Stores from BB to Supers .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have 5 brood frames filled with honey, lift them over the excluder and give the rest brood foundations, What you get is ´fresh combs to future.

Then you have the brood box where a queen has started to lay. There you have pollen, brood and foundations.

How much of that would be drawn as drone-sized cells? My bees seem to make the larger size cells for honey storage.

Thanks for the replys and suggestions am going to give them some foundations and extract the excess ,then i will give them back the extracted frames to clean and use again .

Eric.

How much of that would be drawn as drone-sized cells? My bees seem to make the larger size cells for honey storage.

I do not know about yourt bees. I use foundation that they do no not fill the hive with drones.

I mix all the time honey cells and brood cells. It is not a problem to me, neither to bees.

I wouldn't both with all this nonsense, any form of robbing can cause problems, either take off the brood frames and use later for supplementing nucs or winter feeding, or just extract and re-use next spring.

A good honey yield is a problem?
To me it is a goal.

What the winter has doing with summer yield?

When I read this from, it seems that guys have never got good honey yield,
Totally mad ideas everywhere! I must rub my eyes.

:iagree:
A good honey yield is a problem?
To me it is a goal.

What the winter has doing with summer yield?

When I read this from, it seems that guys have never got good honey yield,
Totally mad ideas everywhere! I must rub my eyes.

I think the problem here is that its the new beekeepers that are having the problems with a heavy nectar flow and its management consequences which few over the last few years have probably not experienced.
They may have been told by mentors to put supers on early but were caught out by the sudden flows of nectar, hence the problems that are manifesting themselves now with congested brood nests.

If you do not undestand, throw the whole excluder to willow bush. Then the brains start to work, what to do.

LOL!

dump the excluder you don't need it and just let them get on with it.

:
I think the problem here is that its the new beekeepers that are having the problems with a heavy nectar flow and its management consequences which few over the last few years have probably not experienced.
They may have been told by mentors to put supers on early but were caught out by the sudden flows of nectar, hence the problems that are manifesting themselves now with congested brood nests.

I'm in my fourth year of beekeeping and have never seen a flow like this year. One of my hives in particular, an aggressive one I had considered combining to another hive, only has 5 frames of brood but managed to completely fill the BB and super with nectar in a week. I put another super on on Saturday and by Monday it was almost fully drawn and filling fast. I'll be putting a BB of foundation on today and moving full frames up from the brood nest or doing an AS, depending on what I find:hairpull:

Too much honey is a wonderful problem considering my bees REALLY struggled through the spring:sunning:

:iagree:

Your post is reassuring. I started in May with a nuc and within weeks all frames in my first hive were full of brood and honey. The bees studiously ignored a super of foundation so I built a second hive and split the colony. Too late - a few days later the queen and entourage swarmed but luckily clustered close by and I recovered them into a third new hive. Having looked in last night the third hive is drawing comb and filling it fast, the first and second hives are progressing towards new queens and nectar flow continues unabated.
From no bees a couple of months ago to three 14 x 12 hives now its sure been a steep learning curve!

Back