Stopping Varroa reprducing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipa

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Interesting point about varroa.

I was interested to learn how the reproducing female mite "knows" when to enter a cell that is about to be capped.

Turns out that this behaviour Is triggered by the larval pheromone that also triggers the workers to cap the cell.

Now if some clever chap can figure out a way to block the mites ability to recognise that pheromone...... then that's job done, no more reproducing mites.

I was interested to learn how the reproducing female mite "knows" when to enter a cell that is about to be capped.

Turns out that this behaviour Is triggered by the larval pheromone that also triggers the workers to cap the cell.

Now if some clever chap can figure out a way to block the mites ability to recognise that pheromone...... then that's job done, no more reproducing mites.

and if it should go wrong and some clever chap disguise's the pheromone then the bees wont cap the brood. WELL DONE another compleat fuuuup up by mankind :nono:

Now if some clever chap can figure out a way to block the mites ability to recognise that pheromone......

I suggested stopping the mites recognising the pheromone not the bees !

I suggested stopping the mites recognising the pheromone not the bees !

Find each individual mite and block her nostrils?
Only way I could see this scheme working would be to treat each hive with a chemical which would only act on the mites within it.
As you would still have feral colonies, neglectful beekeepers and the sandal brigade (unless the magic chemical happened to be icing sugar) you would have to do this every year.
So why bother? just carry on with what you use at the moment

Make an artificial drone pheromone so the mites go to that and then get removed/killed.

Mite(pun intended) be best to go with what they are trying with moskitos is to release infertile males which reduce the population, but not sure their reproduction is the same. easyer to apply than nostral caps

Mite(pun intended) be best to go with what they are trying with moskitos is to release infertile males which reduce the population, but not sure their reproduction is the same. easyer to apply than nostral caps

This wouldn't work. I suggest you do some reading about the life cycle of the varroa mite.

I'm not going to tell you why, because I think people should learn for themselves instead of being spoon-fed by the enablers-of-ignorance on this forum.

Look up the life cycle......
EVERY beekeeper should know that along with the bee life cycle.
Most management techniques slot in nicely when you know how the bees work.

............the male mite never leaves the capped brood cell.

The three pheremone substances associated with the capping of cells are :
methyl linolenate, methyl oleate and methyl palmitate.

So, isolate which of these or combination of these attracts the mites into the cells just prior to capping.

Create a mite trap with a sticky pad with the pheromone.

My patent application is in the post !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back