Varroa in Broodless colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunzo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi,

I caught a swarm in April and housed them in a new hive on fresh foundation with a QE under the brood box and a litre of syrup to help them on their way.

Turns out they are horrible bees so last month I dispatched the Queen and placed a cell in from my breeder queen. I was going to unite them but chose to increase my stock instead.

Long story short. Last week I pulled the screen board out from under The mesh floor and noticed 10 or so Dead varroa Mites.

I decided to put it back in place and check it again. I’ve been wiping the board Clean every night since and there are fresh dead varroa every day.

First question
I’m tempted to vape them as they clearly need a dose but as I have a virgin queen in the hive I’m not sure if I should wait for her to mate and start laying.

Second question
Am I seeing such a drop in mites naturally because they are now Pretty much broodless and can not reproduce or feed On larvae? Or has this swarm got a really desirable trait of heavy grooming and are shedding the mites naturally?

I have never seen a mite on a Inspection board alive or dead Unless I’m treating so it’s all a bit foreign to me.

Latest posts

Back