Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi, I'am in the process of learning about bees before I set up a couple of hives.Monday,whilst cutting a hedge I got stung on the finger by a wasp.I immediately removed the sting,took a antihistamine tablet and applied anthistamine cream.By the evening my hand was quite swollen and very itchy.The next day my hand was very swollen and I felt slightly nauseous.I spoke to a chemist and they said I should see a Doctor,which I did and I'am now on anti-biotics.Is this a normal reaction to a wasp sting and can I expect the same reaction to a bee sting.Finally is their anything else I could have done.Thanks.

Sounds as though you managed to get it infected. If you get stung by a bee you will get the pain and the swelling and nothing I've tried ever makes any difference although putting damp sodium bicarbonate will help ease the pain. Waste of time using antihistmine. The swelling goes down after a day or so and is proportional to the amount of venom you ingest so always get the sting out as soon as possible. If you get stung on the face the swelling can be quite dramatic which is why being stung in the mouth is dangerous because of getting your airway blocked. Good reason for always wearing a bee suit when working on hives.

Wasps spend a lot of time feeding on Protein,they get this from rotting matter such as animal poo.

They then sting you and inject the same rubbish under your skin.
Honeybees eat nector.

That should answer your question regards infection.

People react to wasp and bee stings differently - but bee stings can become infected too - my right foot presently looks like the Elephant Man despite the fact I was stung 11 days ago. However, people also react differently to bee stings - my hubby doesn't even swell up so it is horses for courses really. Try and meet a local beek and see how you react??

Post 5 cliffdale response

I agree with cliffdale if you pulled out the sting it was a bee or another sting insect But not a Wasp
Don't be put off i was stung and was on antibiotics the more i get stung the more my own defences may resist the venom build up an emunity :beatdeadhorse5:

the more i get stung the more my own defences may resist the venom build up an emunity

And there again, the opposite may be true and acute allergy or anaphylactic reaction may be the final result. One cannot tell.

RAB

Did you actually see what stung you? Was it a benign hedge or one of our stockproof country ones? Some thorns are pretty evil and can cause quite profound swelling.

. Waste of time using antihistmine.

PIRITON, full fat PIRITON not the non drowsy PIRITON works.

that is what the hospital filled me with when my face was swollen like a rubbish boxer's, within 2 hours the swelling had not just stopped growing it was actually going down :hurray:

Saw the wasp that stung me as it was still hanging on to my finger.How do I get hold of full fat Piriton?

That was a crap doctor who decided to give you antibiotics for a bee/wasp sting- and not the first time I have heard of this- What a waste of antibiotics and just lowers your protection in future when you may really need them!!

Bee stings - SCRAPE out the sting- dont squeeze poison sac- then 1 ice cube on sting site -1 ice cube in your brandy!!

That was a crap doctor who decided to give you antibiotics for a bee/wasp sting- and not the first time I have heard of this- What a waste of antibiotics and just lowers your protection in future when you may really need them!!

Bee stings - SCRAPE out the sting- dont squeeze poison sac- then 1 ice cube on sting site -1 ice cube in your brandy!!

ICE in BRANDYnoooooo noooo noooooo, gently warm the brandy with your hands and enjoy the aroma!!! never ever ever put ice with brandy!! its like eating roast beef without up north puddings!!!

The nice (and difficult) thing about people is that they vary in their response to stimuli.
Like RAB says one person may not be affected the next may die through anaphylactic shock.
Your next reaction to a sting may be worse or may be not.....
Antihistamines are not a waste of time, they will have some effect, but refer to start of post, people vary!
Piriton is Piriton (regardless of fat content!) and will cause drowsiness to some degree (again see start of post, people vary). It contains chlorphenamine. The non drowsy variant is called Piriteze and contains Cetirizine (which may cause drowsiness in some people!).
The best insect bite/sting therapy is to remove said sting or insect, get some ice on it, this reduces the bodies inflamatory response, take an antihistamine (preferably Piriton) this reduces the bodies reaction to the histamine that it produces in response to the venom/allergic compound, which then causes inflamation. If it itches put on some hydrocortisone 1% cream (not on your face.
Trust me .....I'm a Pharmacist!

Oh and what were you doing cutting a hedge without gloves, you'll have the 'elfin safety brigade out!

Tony

I have been stung by wasps and bees and from that experience, I say that wasp stings hurt far worse than bee stings. Further more I know for myself, that putting a sliced onion on the wound for half an hour at least, sucks the venom out nicely and the swelling doesn't last to long. Hubby on the other hand takes antihistmines on a daily basis, due to other allergy issues and does not react at all to bee stings, no swelling only very short pain and if stinger was in long, than maybe a red dot. None of us has ever had any infections.

Latest posts

Back