Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comedy response - -

Try and meet a local beek and see how you react??

Personally I find that local beeks don't tend to sting, but probably know girls of an obliging disposition, if encouraged . . .

A medical opinion if you want one:

The body reacts to stings by producing histamine, hence anti histamines will help. What type is down to personal preference. I usually use the cheapest Boots branded ones. Local cooling with ice may also slow down the release of histamine.

I would be surprisied if infection was to be such a problem within 24 hours. GP's often will use belt and braces approach.

How will you react in future? - as RAB says, who knows, could lessen could worsen. Sometimes the stings affect me more than others, and also depends on site.

If worried speak with GP about possible prescription for epipen ( for anaphylaxis - which is uncommon).

I do not let stings affect my enjoyment of beekeeping, but take sensible precautions - suit and gloves, and yes I do usually have some antihistamine in the pocket of my suit.

Wasps spend a lot of time feeding on Protein,they get this from rotting matter such as animal poo.

They then sting you and inject the same rubbish under your skin.

Ooop's, I don't think so, they may take "protein" by way of insects for their larvae but that's all. Emerged adults don't require protein - same with bees, just sugars for energy. Either way the venom will be pure and not contaminated although it's possible in the case of a wasp that the stinger could be contaminated from previously stinging a dirty creature.

Chris

Latest posts

Back