Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got stung on my hand today, on the base of the thumb on the palm side. The reaction is quite sever - my whole hand is swollen, red and painful as far as four inches up my wrist. This selling developed over a couple of hours.

It is the most sever reaction that I have ever had. Is this likely to be a particular potent bee/ greater proportion of poison or due to the location of the sting, or is it possible that I am becoming allergic ? I have read that we can become more allergic but is this common and if so can we become less allergic again?

It is the most sever reaction that I have ever had. Is this likely to be a particular potent bee/ greater proportion of poison or due to the location of the sting, or is it possible that I am becoming allergic ? I have read that we can become more allergic but is this common and if so can we become less allergic again?

The most authoritative source of information on bee stings that I have found is here (https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/hcp/what-is-anaphylaxis/signs-and-symptoms/).
As always, consult a doctor on medical matters.

I got stung on my hand today, on the base of the thumb on the palm side. The reaction is quite sever - my whole hand is swollen, red and painful as far as four inches up my wrist. This selling developed over a couple of hours.

I get varying degrees of effect from stings. Some hurt a lot, some hardly at all. Some swell, some don't. Occasionally one will deliver a bit of bacteria and pus develops at the site. (I'm old school and release it with a sterile needle).
However if the effect is tracking up the lymphatic vessels of your arm a visit to your local medic or A&E might be wise for a shot of antibiotics.
Regardless of the above, if you have personal concerns go and get medical attention.

Fingers crossed my luck with stings continues, only been stung twice. 1 with honey bee on my thumb & I didn't realise it was stinging I thought it was just sat there until I tried to move it and the sting was stuck in my thumb, no reaction or pain at all. 2 bumble be hit me in the face while cycling, got stuck under my helmet chin strap & stung my neck, I felt it a little bit, brushed it off & found the sting still in my neck an hour later when I got home, just a little red mark that lasted most of the day.
I'm still new to this bee keeping game but sure I'll have a bad day sooner or later
Wingy

It took me thirty years to stop getting various reactions. Swollen limbs, redness, insatiable itching that used to drive me insane. Not so bad now!
E

Fingers crossed my luck with stings continues, only been stung twice. 1 with honey bee on my thumb & I didn't realise it was stinging I thought it was just sat there until I tried to move it and the sting was stuck in my thumb, no reaction or pain at all. 2 bumble be hit me in the face while cycling, got stuck under my helmet chin strap & stung my neck, I felt it a little bit, brushed it off & found the sting still in my neck an hour later when I got home, just a little red mark that lasted most of the day.
I'm still new to this bee keeping game but sure I'll have a bad day sooner or later
Wingy
Are you sure it was a bumble Bee because as far as i am aware Bumble bees do not have a barbed sting and can sting repeatedly without harming themselves unlike the barbed honey bee sting.

I react really bad to stings also, what I have found helps is taking allergy relief and there is also anti histamine creams avaliable like Pirton liquid jell.

Are you sure it was a bumble Bee because as far as i am aware Bumble bees do not have a barbed sting and can sting repeatedly without harming themselves unlike the barbed honey bee sting.

To be honest thought it was a bumble be but in reality could have been almost anything. Saw it coming looked bigger than a honey bee, felt it hit my face, felt it sting my neck & brushed it off all at about 25mph & in under a second. Pulled the barbed sting out when I got home
Wingy

As above, if in doubt seek medical advice. It might be an idea to take an antihistamine tablet before opening up your hives in the future. I had to for a while, but now do not react to stings apart from the initial ouch. I am a retired GP.

To be honest thought it was a bumble be but in reality could have been almost anything. Saw it coming looked bigger than a honey bee, felt it hit my face, felt it sting my neck & brushed it off all at about 25mph & in under a second. Pulled the barbed sting out when I got home
Wingy

I had a bumble hit the windscreen pillar on my car when i was driving with the window open, the splattered remains come in through the open window and straight in my eye, it stung like hell and my eye was bloodshot for days after.

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who replied. I woke up with a hand like a balloon this morning , but it is slightly better now.

I am hoping that this is not a prelude to becoming allergic . Will take antihistamine tablets and buy some gel for th next time .

This year, after seven stings so far, I have remained largely impervious after the initial injections. Worst thing is the itching but this: https://www.paingone.com/, seems to help a lot, really, a lot. It's not really for bee stings but it works; just don't use it on the front of your fingers though, it makes them twitch painfully.

I find that the worst thing is the swelling. I recently got stung on my feet, and they swelled up enough to make it awkward to wear shoes. Ibuprofen did wonders!

I find that the worst thing is the swelling. I recently got stung on my feet, and they swelled up enough to make it awkward to wear shoes. Ibuprofen did wonders!

Now that's strange. It's often said reactions to stings are worse when taking ibuprofen.
Not everyone responds to medication in the same way.
Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice ☺

I get the swelling, and every one of mine goes bad and needs opening up three or four days after the sting. Germolene on top of the site does nothing. I must have mucky bees.

Do most people get stung on the hands through gloves?

There used to be a website for Yorkshire Beehives that bore the important message if you keep bees you WILL get stung. Some bees are better at penetrating gloves/beeks are clumsier than others.

Do most people get stung on the hands through gloves?

With gloves?
Nitriles? Occasionally if I catch a bee under my fingers.Twin nitriles: yes with bad tempered bees.
Marigold : yes.. more stings as less feel. So bees become stroppy.
Marigolds and nitriles? I kill more bees but fewer sting penetrate. Makes for clumsy beekeeping.

And of course for queen rearing , catching and marking.. bare hands are best..(With Avon Skin So Soft)

I have fewer stings with bare hands on even tempered colonies.. 1-2 at best in total.

I think I must be lucky. With my own bees I am wearing nitriles to keep my hands clean. I've had one sting this season in the wrist. That's over four colonies currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back