sterillized pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks, i am considering wether to make pollen patties or not and if i do what to put in them. I read that pollen should be sterillized if from an unknown source by radiation. The pollen i can buy has been treated by freezing it. Will this kill unwanted pathogens well enough to fed it safely to my bees ? Thanks, Nuc.

The pollen i can buy has been treated by freezing it. Will this kill unwanted pathogens well enough to fed it safely to my bees ? Thanks, Nuc.

No it won't kill the likes of AFB.

Ok thanks for the quick reply. If i do make any they'll be pollen free then. Cheers.

Not pollen patties then, so what is the purpose?

Are you sure that the colonies actually need to be fed extra protein? Their own stores may be ample. Rather than feeding pollen, you could consider feeding a pollen supplement.

Are you sure that the colonies actually need to be fed extra protein? Their own stores may be ample. Rather than feeding pollen, you could consider feeding a pollen supplement.

What then if the hive has no pollen stores?

Yes, they survive over winter and they start brood rearing when they get pollen outside.

90% of beekeepers do not understand the need of protein or aminoacids.
But 90% of beekeepers believe that feeding sugar to bees in Spring it accelerates brooding.

(needless to cry. It does not make beeks wiser.)

Last edited:
But 90% of beekeepers believe that feeding sugar to bees in Spring it accelerates brooding.

1:1 sugar syrup, not plain sugar. But you are right, of those that do, 90% (but that should not include those that actually read this forum) probably think it is the sugar that is the important component. I, and those others that think, will know/work out that given adequate honey stores within the hive, the bees will be needing the water and not the carbohydrate. I suppose getting both at the same trough will save a little time.....

RAB

1:1 sugar syrup, not plain sugar. But you are right, of those that do, 90% (but that should not include those that actually read this forum) probably think it is the sugar that is the important component. I, and those others that think, will know/work out that given adequate honey stores within the hive, the bees will be needing the water and not the carbohydrate. I suppose getting both at the same trough will save a little time.....

RAB

Seeing this and observing the bees devoting large resources to fetching water, why not have water inside the feeding ecke above the crownboard? ( pre-heated to hive temp before insertion). If the ecke is considered outside the hive its just a warmer, nearer, source of water or is it?

or is it?

Why not just supply the liquid any way you feel you want to. Most use a frame feeder inside the hive. So water above the crownboard is certainly not nearer than a frame feeder. Frame feeder will be warmer, too.

Not an option for those of us whose crownboards are just that - a crown board.

Surely it would be a drinking 'ecke' (whatever an 'ecke' is), not a feeding 'ecke'.

I agree, though, that water immediatly adjacent to the hive would very be closer than a source further away. Whether it happens to be warmer would need measuring in individual cases at different times, I would imagine. In house liquid has a further advantage - it can be available all day and all night long. Good, that.

Come on Rab, you knew that.

Nah, thought it must be a new fangled invention from Pamber Heath. We've already got 'waswood' whatever that might be (and I don't really want to know, either) amongst a few other 'inventions'.

OK guys, bee larvae do not live either with sugar or sugar syrup, and least with water.
With holy spirit perhaps.

You have slept duding biology lessons in school. Sory to tell afterwards.

Everyone become blessed with his beliefs.

RAB

'Hive is allready full of sugar. What is poit to feed more????

My hive is wet.....Answer: feed water!!!.................that is life...

Could it be this

Firewood it says. Could be right.

Closest I got on Goggle was 'corner', or Bloemen Ecke.

Back