Sterilizing frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When using caustic soda for frame sterilization 1can the mix be used cold and 2how long does the caustic mix stay effective

Hot loosens wax from frame wood and lye turn it to soap.
Highly alcalic destroys all microbia.

Frames will be like new. 3% lye solution. Collect soap foam off from surface.
Wash off with water.

Thank you will do just hot enough to melt wax

Washing soda is MUCH safer, and hot is pretty effective.

Hot caustic soda is truly scary stuff.

I have 80 litre rostfrei pot where I boil them. Essntial thing is that frames are tied in bunch that I can handle 8 frames at same time with big fork made from tree twig.

It is easy to move in bunch them and wash lye off and forward.

Finally they must be piled so that when they dry up, they will be in right angle.

Last edited:
apparently the vapours can have a catastrophic effect on the braincells leaving the sufferer a gibbering wreck, having delusions of grandeur, talking rubbish and making no sense to anyone

apparently the vapours can have a catastrophic effect on the braincells leaving the sufferer a gibbering wreck, having delusions of grandeur, talking rubbish and making no sense to anyone

And someone believes himself to be an internet remote psyciatric.

Vapours? Why you put your head into vapours?

Last edited:
Washing soda is MUCH safer, and hot is pretty effective.

Hot caustic soda is truly scary stuff.

All chemicals can be scary if handled incorrectly. I spent years working with concentrated caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, acetic anhydride and other fun to handle stuff. Oddly this was in the food starch and glucose industry. If people only knew what they are consuming ;)

All chemicals can be scary if handled incorrectly.

I agree, and many other things, but we seem to be getting deeper and deeper into this ridiculous mamby pamby nanny state, you need a certificate for operating this and a certificate for that, most of it just really stupid.

Is it cheaper than beer which seems to have a similar effect on me?

Trust me, hot caustic soda and beer do NOT have similar effects.

I would suggest that there is a world of difference between people who in the course of their work handle dangerous chemicals on a daily basis, and chemically-novice beekeepers blithely following incomplete advice they have gleaned from an anonymous internet source.

If you have never handled hot caustic soda solution before, then, for your own safety, I strongly suggest that you do not start without the personal supervision and training of someone who has at least survived it a couple of times without injury.

Remember the Darwin awards, and consider whether you want to be nominated.

You don't need to use the much more dangerous caustic soda. Washing soda will do the job and when hot is surprisingly aggressive - you still need to take care and precautions.

+1 to the above comment severe chemical burns/incidents are best avoided, for personal safety let alone the disruption it can cause to a marriage! Especially when there is a safer option which can work well and is cheaply available.

+1 to the above comment severe chemical burns/incidents are best avoided, for personal safety let alone the disruption it can cause to a marriage! Especially when there is a safer option which can work well and is cheaply available.

You mean half boiled eggs?

Latest posts

Back