Quantcast

Spring has Sprung

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

T

Tom Bick 

Despite the bad weather forecast for this next week in the south east I doubt it will hold back natures insistence that it is time to push on.
I have just completed a long walk along the canal having moved my boat and it is obvious in every quarters that spring is now in full flow buds on just about everything are opening, bumble bees on the move, a big hatching of flys, the bats have being flying at night for the past week, dandelions are abundant, early blossom is appearing, the birds are singing their little hearts out and its best not talk about what the ducks are up to or wanting to get up to.

PaleoPerson 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Saw first worker wasp yesterday, it had a quick buzz around the hives. :(

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Worker !! already. u sure it wasnt a queen. ?

I enjoyed looking at the signs of springs emergence while walking the hound earlier today, green shoots, buds and blossoms emerging, new life, new beginning, but not a single honey bee though.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Plenty of blossom around now and the bee's have been taking full advantage of the nice weather today, collecting plenty of pollen,have just returned from putting 5 frame nuc's which are bursting at the seems with bee's into full size box's, and double brood chambering full size colonys many with almost wall to wall brood and plenty of drone brood in all.
Swarming time not far away now.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Swarming time...LOL

Perishing here, topped out at 8 degrees and the dogs want their coats on before putting a nose past the door.

PH

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
You need to move further south Poly,sounds like the arctic up where you are,but the valley where i live down here does have a kind of micro-climate,travel 12 miles up over the hills and it can be a few degrees cooler,and the season is about two weeks later.
These Norton Superbee queens and there daughter queens seem to be doing extremely well, considering this is supposed to be the hardest winter in many years,and they don't mind a bit of rain either.

Last edited:

Busy Bee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
+4 C Here bloody rotten, north east wind (wind chill +1c ) bucketing down since lunchtime:cuss: on the back of blizzards on Tuesday night of Heavy Rain all day tuesday and Light rain all day Monday......... ()*%^&*^&*%^&^*^& ing weather !!!!:banghead::banghead:

The only thing to do is leave don't even bother to put the light out .....

Busy Bee:ack2:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just managed 10c today,well 9.9c anyway.

Had a couple of spells of sunshine so I think the bees would of managed to get out.

Lots of cloud rolling over all day.

buzz lightyear 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just thinking of Temp. Can anyone suggest a cheap Weather guage / themometer?
cheers, Buzz

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
'Weather includes temperature, but also a lot to do with wind, humidity, precipitation and other parameters.

You could go to your local ironmongery/hardware type shop and get a barometer/thermometer/hygrometer and start recording? Cheap enough for a cheap one! But maybe you are thinking of a data logger type of weather station?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts