Is this weather going to cause problems?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My first year taking a 5 frame langstroth nuc into winter (so far so good) but looking around this last week or so anyone would think spring was here?
Willow is well in bud as are a few other trees, bluebells and other spring bulbs showing, birds singing their hearts out from about 0400 hours & already seen freshly hatched wood pigeon egg shells. On the other side I still have some hawthorn which has green leaves still from last year.
Bees are flying out on a regular basis but not bringing much in at all.
Weather forecast keeps predicting a cold snap. If this happens late say Feb - March is this going to cause problems for the bees?
I remember a few years ago all the local ducklings died when everything froze solid days after they hatched? Wierd weather

Doubt it. Bees have been around thousands of years and have coped with worse in that time. Just make sure your nuc remains weatherproof and snug, with enough stores. Otherwise leave them alone and let them do what they do best - survive.
Much further south than you and I see no signs of an early spring. Yes the birds do sing early in the morning but that is probably due to light pollution.

Last edited:
Yes. Bees mostly in with mad poo flights and chucking out of the dead periodically

Mine have been doing the same , this last week. The last time they were out flying was on the 5th Nov funny enough its was 10 c on that day as it has been most days this last week.

Mine have been doing the same , this last week. The last time they were out flying was on the 5th Nov funny enough its was 10 c on that day as it has been most days this last week.

Yes and they have the sense to not scour the countryside every time it hits 10 degrees.

Yes and they have the sense to not scour the countryside every time it hits 10 degrees.

I suppose if they've got plenty of stores they wouldn't need to forage. This time of year. They do there toilet duties collect water and head back to hive for a warm and some dinner
bee-smillie

I suppose if they've got plenty of stores they wouldn't need to forage. This time of year. They do there toilet duties collect water and head back to hive for a warm and some dinner
bee-smillie
Or in my case, crap all over visitors' cars...:icon_204-2:

Pal of mine checking bees pre sublimation.. 3 frames brood! Crazy UK. At least Finman gets a brood gap.

Back