Spring has Sprung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Despite the bad weather forecast for this next week in the south east I doubt it will hold back natures insistence that it is time to push on.
I have just completed a long walk along the canal having moved my boat and it is obvious in every quarters that spring is now in full flow buds on just about everything are opening, bumble bees on the move, a big hatching of flys, the bats have being flying at night for the past week, dandelions are abundant, early blossom is appearing, the birds are singing their little hearts out and its best not talk about what the ducks are up to or wanting to get up to.

Saw first worker wasp yesterday, it had a quick buzz around the hives. :(

Worker !! already. u sure it wasnt a queen. ?

I enjoyed looking at the signs of springs emergence while walking the hound earlier today, green shoots, buds and blossoms emerging, new life, new beginning, but not a single honey bee though.

Plenty of blossom around now and the bee's have been taking full advantage of the nice weather today, collecting plenty of pollen,have just returned from putting 5 frame nuc's which are bursting at the seems with bee's into full size box's, and double brood chambering full size colonys many with almost wall to wall brood and plenty of drone brood in all.
Swarming time not far away now.

Swarming time...LOL

Perishing here, topped out at 8 degrees and the dogs want their coats on before putting a nose past the door.

PH

You need to move further south Poly,sounds like the arctic up where you are,but the valley where i live down here does have a kind of micro-climate,travel 12 miles up over the hills and it can be a few degrees cooler,and the season is about two weeks later.
These Norton Superbee queens and there daughter queens seem to be doing extremely well, considering this is supposed to be the hardest winter in many years,and they don't mind a bit of rain either.

Last edited:
+4 C Here bloody rotten, north east wind (wind chill +1c ) bucketing down since lunchtime:cuss: on the back of blizzards on Tuesday night of Heavy Rain all day tuesday and Light rain all day Monday......... ()*%^&*^&*%^&^*^& ing weather !!!!:banghead::banghead:

The only thing to do is leave don't even bother to put the light out .....

Busy Bee:ack2:

Just managed 10c today,well 9.9c anyway.

Had a couple of spells of sunshine so I think the bees would of managed to get out.

Lots of cloud rolling over all day.

Just thinking of Temp. Can anyone suggest a cheap Weather guage / themometer?
cheers, Buzz

'Weather includes temperature, but also a lot to do with wind, humidity, precipitation and other parameters.

You could go to your local ironmongery/hardware type shop and get a barometer/thermometer/hygrometer and start recording? Cheap enough for a cheap one! But maybe you are thinking of a data logger type of weather station?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back