Spring build-up....or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the big boys who used to feed pollen no longer do and the reports I have heard suggest they have found pretty much no difference.

PH

Some of the big boys who used to feed pollen no longer do and the reports I have heard suggest they have found pretty much no difference.

PH

Protein feeding gives more early bees, but if you are not able take advantage from that, it does not help.

To me patty feeding gives one yield month more.

IT is strange that when guys use humbug stuffs, results have been good.

Last edited:
One year my neighbour said, that he did get dandelion honey even if he fed patty.

I asked that did he noticed that it was only one day when bees could go to flowers during dandelion blooming. Other days were rainy and cold.

PH

Several years ago, I was at a presentation by Heather Matilla. She and Gard Otis did a study on feeding pollen substitutes. When building colonies for the flow, she found that it was necessary only about one year in four. I feed pollen sub every spring, because I never know when it will be one of those four years, until it's too late to correct the situation.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1603/0022-0493-99.3.604

Last summer I add 3 fold my hive number by pollen patty and electrict bottom heating

Last edited:
Several years ago, I was at a presentation by Heather Matilla. She and Gard Otis did a study on feeding pollen substitutes. When building colonies for the flow, she found that it was necessary only about one year in four. I feed pollen sub every spring, because I never know when it will be one of those four years, until it's too late to correct the situation.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1603/0022-0493-99.3.604

As ever know your locality.

PH

I know my locality but have no idea what the long term weather will be. The Met Office forecast in the 2000s that UK summer would be hot and dry and winters would be warmer and wetter. Just in time for the coldest winters for 20 years in 2010-12 and wet summers in 2015 and 2016..

I know my locality but have no idea what the long term weather will be. The Met Office forecast in the 2000s that UK summer would be hot and dry and winters would be warmer and wetter. Just in time for the coldest winters for 20 years in 2010-12 and wet summers in 2015 and 2016..

For me it is cheap and harmless, so I do it anyway.

For me it is cheap and harmless, so I do it anyway.

+1 (especially the cheap and easy bit . You did mention easy no doubt? :paparazzi: )

I feed mine from 1st Feb onwards and accept there is a risk if we get a cold snap after this it could set them back a bit.

I generally see colonies on 5/6 frames of brood move onto 10-12 frames after 8 weeks of feeding.

It serves the purpose that I can split heavily early on and make up plenty of nucs.

If i didnt split i reckon every single hive would swarm without adequate management!

It also builds them up well for a move to the rape which I am considering this year for the first time.

I feed mine from 1st Feb onwards and accept there is a risk if we get a cold snap after this it could set them back a bit.

Do you feed them just pollen or syrup as well?

Do you feed them just pollen or syrup as well?
They get syrup in September. Fondant in December and pollen patties in February.

There tends to be both fondant and patties available until everything gets taken off at the spring flow.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

They get syrup in September. Fondant in December and pollen patties in February.

There tends to be both fondant and patties available until everything gets taken off at the spring flow.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

They must be so fat with all that excess I wonder if they can fly... or even need to go foraging!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back