Spring build-up....or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I keep reading and hearing a lot about boosting colonies with pollen enhanced patties early spring to increase brood rearing but it is rarely mentioned that it should be done for a purpose so a lot of people feed pollen patties regardless.

In my area, the spring flow is left to the bees as there is no OSR or major nectar source. As such, I don't need to build my hives up quickly unless I want to have a starter/finisher hive to raise a few queens or do early splits. Over the last 3 years I have had half of my hives on pollen rich patties from end of Feb and half left using stores or fondant. I noticed the ones fed with pollen were ready to swarm earlier (early May) leading to the need to AS.

I may stop feeding pollen rich patties to my hives and focus on building them up for the main flow. They find ample pollen from February onward here and I always have a few frames in the freezer.

The downside I can see would be a hive nearing full size during the June gap which may need feeding and a high risk of swarming if not managed properly just before or during the main flow saying goodbye to a crop.

Any views on this ?

Any views on this ?

I would agree with your assessment. If you have no need to build up the colonies artificially, it makes sense to allow them to build up naturally according to the local conditions. You may find that swarming becomes less of an issue (they need protein to feed larvae, so, you are encoraging them to do this earlier than necessary by feeding pollen supplements).

The downside I can see would be a hive nearing full size during the June gap which may need feeding and a high risk of swarming if not managed properly just before or during the main flow saying goodbye to a crop.

Any views on this ?

Loads of views I expect.
As B+ says if you aint got no spring crop no need to build them up too soon, although I'm sure Finman will disagree ....wanting 200kgs/hive off your main flow
One of several possible solutions is use artificial swarm prevention ala Snelgrove/Demaree just before your main flow. Here you can raise new queens (if you wish) and don't lose your work force. I think of it as doing an artificial swarm before you see any signs of queen cells.
If your local bees are dedicated annual swarmers though it might not be enough!

Last edited:
Everyone may do with their bees what they want. I do not mind.

Artificial build up with pollen patty and electrict heating prolongs the yield period, because hive become ready to forage 3 weeks earlier.

If hives have swarming instinct ok, they swarm sooner or later.

Pollen patty is very difficult, if you cannot buy irradiated pollen.
But of course, every hive does well without patty feeding. But it is sad to look in spring brood frames because bees have eaten part of larvae for their protein needs.

I have fed 20 years spring protein to get early dandelion honey, but our weathers are so cold in early summer, that bees do not have many working hours during 3 weeks blooming. But it is nice to look strong colonies then.

Feeding has big influenece on raspberry yield, and it has a real meaning at the end of Juni.,

So, when I give patty in April, real affects come in sight in late Juni, 8 weeks later

Last edited:
I keep reading and hearing a lot about boosting colonies with pollen enhanced patties early spring to increase brood rearing but it is rarely mentioned that it should be done for a purpose so a lot of people feed pollen patties regardless.

In my area, the spring flow is left to the bees as there is no OSR or major nectar source. As such, I don't need to build my hives up quickly unless I want to have a starter/finisher hive to raise a few queens or do early splits. Over the last 3 years I have had half of my hives on pollen rich patties from end of Feb and half left using stores or fondant. I noticed the ones fed with pollen were ready to swarm earlier (early May) leading to the need to AS.

I may stop feeding pollen rich patties to my hives and focus on building them up for the main flow. They find ample pollen from February onward here and I always have a few frames in the freezer.

Any views on this ?
Why not feed and AS all hives early may and recombine
to make super strong colonies as main flow starts

Up to now i have not had to feed any pollen patties, i have fed candipollen gold in the past but i am led to believe it is hyped up fondent.
My hives are within spitting distance of a swamp that is full of willow and on top of that many spring bulbs are not far away either and when spring has sprung the bees are very busy on the willow and spring bulbs collecting large loads of natural pollen.

In my area, the spring flow is left to the bees as there is no OSR or major nectar source.

I move brood from overwintered nucs into production colonies to boost their strength prior to my expected spring flow. I usually get a surplus even with bad weather. This year was good with 500+ lbs. the spring flow comes from Field Maple, Sycamore , Horse Chestnut, Hawthorn & Dandelion. As you mention the earlier Hazel, Willow provides plenty of natural pollen
The so called June gap produced another 500+ lbs mainly because of the lime had a good year supplemented by the bramble & privet.
Then there is the main summer flow from willow herb & balsam.
As you have found out its all down to first ensuring they are healthy & then keeping the production colonies strong (despite swarm control) to take advantage of the expected flows if they happen. Some years your disappointed- that's beekeeping as there's always next year.

I start patty feefing 3 weeks before willows start to bloom. Then when willow starts, the hive gets a massive amount of new feeder bees to nurse expanding brood.

In natural way there are good and bad weathers, and bees cannot forage enouch in willows. Patty feeding ensure that there is no lack of protein in brood feeding..

My hives try to swarm but I handle it with AS and with clipped wing.

Last edited:
We are surrounded by grazing fields here so the spring is sycamore, some willow and whatever else they can find. Even with a very strong hive I doubt I would get a decent spring crop. I will try 1 hive that way.

That is strange.

Your bees get pollen without pollen feeding, but if you feed pollen, hives swarm twice.

I think that your protein feeding advices do not work. Best advice is: Do nothing.

I have done it 25 years, and I know how it works.

We are surrounded by grazing fields here so the spring is sycamore, some willow and whatever else they can find. Even with a very strong hive I doubt I would get a decent spring crop. I will try 1 hive that way.

Hi Jeff

My bees aren't far from you and you, too, have plenty of willow nearby. As long as the weather is willing, the bees will get sufficient pollen early in the season from the willow . I have only fed pollen sub once - I didn't find any difference... I don't anticipate any spring shortage in the coming season, as frames were stuffed with pollen at the back end. (The proviso being...Depending on the weather to come, of course!).

Latest posts

Back