soo...many questions! Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahM

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2 plus 1 nucleus
:willy_nilly: Just joined this thing - not at all computer literate - found myself in a Lounge!!! posted something but no idea what to do next or where to look for a reply?!?! thought I would try this instead. Cna someone tell me how this all works?
Need to know if I sould put a super on my hive where I have a new queen who is laying and I think first bees are emerging. tis is a hive which lost its original year old queen by swarming whilst we were away before Easter, hive still a reasonable size.

How many frames of brood has the colony, and welcome to the forum.

PH

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. Yes you have found the right place to post - this is the main section of the forum - for bee related questions like yours.

Unfortunately a wee bit more info is needed to answer your question - you say that your new queen is "laying", but how much? Is there just a scattering of eggs on a few frames in the box? Or have you got a few good frames (ie 7 or 8) of regular brood?

We are currently in what is known as the "June gap", so there is not that strong a nectar flow at the moment, but it varies with your location.

And Sarah, stop worrying!!! ;);););)

If we're being honest, putting a super on at this time of year is not going to cause too many problems whatever strength your colony is, and in a couple of weeks time, when HM has had her first brood cycle, your colony will certainly bee ready for one.

So don't panic, and welcome to the forum.

Ben P

Thanks for replys, don't be surprise if more of the same pop up I must have tried posting this several times! Just have 3 frames with tennis ball size or a bit bigger on each of larvae at different stages - that was on friday last week, also one or other of my hives is being quite techy, go stung yesterday minding my own business doing the gardening!

Thanks for replys, don't be surprise if more of the same pop up I must have tried posting this several times! Just have 3 frames with tennis ball size or a bit bigger on each of larvae at different stages - that was on friday last week, also one or other of my hives is being quite techy, go stung yesterday minding my own business doing the gardening!

No need to put on a super just yet then. But keep monitoring them weekly because you will have to soon.

Ben P

Thanks Ben P. Yet more questions, my no 2 hive is very full - 8 frames WBS full of brood plus 2 stores and 2 supers - 1 capped and second being filled. Friday check showed they were building queen cells centrally about 7 I got rid of 1 but then thought better of total distruction, so left the rest but damaged wax to give me a bit of time to decide what to do next. Cells have royal jelly I think -white stuff ? but couldn't see anything in it. this was a cast swarm this time last year, so can't understand why they would want to replace their queen if she is only last years and is laying well!? Should I attempt to take a false swarm?

Someone else may be replying as I write this but... Different hives/bees/ have different characteristics, some will want to swarm all the time, just because it is a new queen I am afraid doesn't mean anything really. It sounds as though they are beginning to be ready for a swarm! and maybe a cast or to. A cast is where a virgin queen will hatch and then fly off with a load more bees! they can deplete your hive quite heavily. You have correctly identified royal jelly, well done, your learning curve is getting less steep! If you have a spare nuc box I would be tempted to take a frame of bees and a well developed queen cell and put them in that as 'insurance' they will develop slowly and should give you a new queen. there is more to it than that but I won't go into details as that may be beyond your capabilities. You have other choices. You could artificially swarm or you could destroy all the queen cells but two and wait and see what happens or you could shook swarm where you shake all your bees into another new brood box. Personally I would AS but without knowing how much equipment or knowledge you have this could be difficult. Are you a member of a BKA or do you have a mentor?
(Oh and welcome, you will always get answers her, some will be varied, some will contradict each other and some will be gobbldygook but someone will ALWAYS try and help you. I have not been on this forum long but it is the best I have found)
E
:beatdeadhorse5:

If your colony has swarmed, there really should have be a super (or two or three) on already! Unless you have removed them for extraction.

Unless you do something quickly you may be about to lose another swarm from your second hive. They could go about 5 days after your last intrusion, or even less if they can repair those queen cells. Do an A/S now is my advice.

I would suggest your broods are far too small for your colonies. This is a common failing with the WBC hive with only 10 frames, deep drood box, and a prolific strain of bee.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Regards, RAB

Hi Sarah,

Welcome :). If you can AS that colony BEFORE the first cell is capped (and look very, very carefully for cells) then you should save the hive from swarming.

Move hive several feet to one side, new brood box and foundation on the original site. Put frame with queen on in that new box, foragers will return there and sort her house out.

Read Hooper or something and sit down with a pen and paper til it's clear in your mind what to do and what kit you need. And do it quickly.

Re "tetchy" hive...which one is it? Is it the one that swarmed in which case the new queen may be a crabby one and the guard bees hers now? You absolutely do not want bees who greet or follow. They are a menace. HOWEVER if they get caught in your hair they will sting anyway. A quick slap to the rough area with the palm of the hand and always wear a veil. Also be sure all hives have good stores...you can see a hive getting edgier and more "energetic" when they're hungry.

Sarah,

As a newbee I did an artificial swarm (AS) about 4 weeks ago, and was totally confused by the written instruction in some books and guides. Luckily I found this one and it has pictures :)

http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/beepedia/artificial.htm

Hope that helps and good luck, it all eventually sinks in ;)

My mentor gave me good advice, and that was to pick one reference book and read it, otherwise it gets confusing.

Hoopers book is the one I chose.

Thanks for reply Enrico Think I may make neuc box over weekend as not sure I have time to wait for an ordered one to arrive!

Many thanks for that Alabamaeee!

Back