Somerset member

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Refugee from Frome here.
Not really Somerset , more like west London.
Now in Wiltshire village just outside Trowvegas, which is the exact opposite of Frome.
I believe 'Wurzel' is in use to describe Somersetians.
We've been trying to move to Frome, where our Daughter and family live, for nearly five years now ...life has got in the way.... but the prices of property has escalated so dramatically in that time, as a result of what the locals call DFL's (Down From Londoners) and the celebrity status of the place. When Paul McCartney did a set pre-Glastonbury at the Cheese and Grain it put another 5% on every property in the area and lets not speculate on what happened when Hugh Grant bought a sausage roll in the town !

So ... we are looking still but it looks like Planet Frome is going to be at least 25 miles away where (we hope) celebrities and DFL's are not (yet) looking !!

We've been trying to move to Frome, where our Daughter and family live, for nearly five years now ...life has got in the way.... but the prices of property has escalated so dramatically in that time, as a result of what the locals call DFL's (Down From Londoners) and the celebrity status of the place. When Paul McCartney did a set pre-Glastonbury at the Cheese and Grain it put another 5% on every property in the area and lets not speculate on what happened when Hugh Grant bought a sausage roll in the town !

So ... we are looking still but it looks like Planet Frome is going to be at least 25 miles away where (we hope) celebrities and DFL's are not (yet) looking !!
Babington house is also about four miles away that adds another 50K.
I moved there in the 70s it was a complete dump.
I was a hippy squatter, we had a whole street of squats.
The house I squatted, terraced house , small garden on street parking sold recently for 450,000 !
Trowvegas is ten miles away in Wilts and it's ripe for gentrification.
I live in a village on the edge.

Don't they call that part Devon ?
It is Devon,l remember as a boy part of Devon on the map was surrounded by Somerset,or was it Dorset,and it is rough,when l take the stagecoach to Wiveliscombe an extra shotgun looks back.but to compensate that area holds some of the most talented bk,s in the whole country.l think Snellgrove taught them all.there honey crop is big because of the bluebells.

But where else would you get a girls school called Sexeys

I'm pretty sure it's co-ed. Either that or they had some very macho female pupils when we used to compete against them when I was at school :)

James
Yes it is, I used a bit of poetic license ☺️

But from what I hear on the grapevine quite a few of the DFL's who moved to Somerset during lockdown have decided to return to the big smoke as they found Somerset way too exciting.
They all ran out of 'charlie' during lockdown.......

Latest posts

Back