Somerset member

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick o shea

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all i am a new member to the forum and am based in Somerset
Started keeping bees in 2014 with a swarm i found in a tree and have been keeping them ever since
Quite a brave move on my part at the time as i react slightly to bee stings but much more so to wasps stings
However bees and wild life in general have always fascinated me and i wasnt going to miss out as you only live once
I Increased my colonies this year from 5 to 12 plus 4 nucs and plan to add just a couple more next year if they go threw the winter ok
Just had my best honey season ever although it is all still sat on the hives weighting for the weather to break so i can harvest
Thats assuming the bees havent eaten it all by then 🤣 of course

Hi from another Sunny Somerset beekeeper. What rough area are you in?

Welcome Rick. :nature-smiley-016:I don't know what the correct demonym is for somerset dwellers but I think they have made you welcome.:biggrinjester:

I'm not sure what you call someone from Somerset either. "Trouble", possibly :D Maybe it's a bit like Kent and there are different names depending on which side of the Levels you're from. Obviously the correct name for someone who actually lives on the Levels is "amphibian".

James

I'm an Irish guy living in Somerset by way of 34 years in Aberdeen. So I guess I'm confused.

The definition of a Welshman is someone who prays on their knees on a Sunday and preys on their neighbours the rest of the week but I have yet to find one who fits the description as I have a number of Welsh friends

Quite a brave move on my part at the time as i react slightly to bee stings but much more so to wasps stings
Hello Rick, welcome to the forum. Didn't wear a bee suit?

The definition of a Welshman is someone who prays on their knees on a Sunday and preys on their neighbours the rest of the week but I have yet to find one who fits the description as I have a number of Welsh friends
I can point you to quite a few examples if you like 😁

Refugee from Frome here.
Not really Somerset , more like west London.
Now in Wiltshire village just outside Trowvegas, which is the exact opposite of Frome.
I believe 'Wurzel' is in use to describe Somersetians.

Latest posts

Back