Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

JamezF 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I'm planning to make some of these by just routing an 8mm slot about 15cm long out of a piece of ply for the main floor. Does that seem a reasonable way to go or are there other considerations that I've failed to, err, consider?

James

JamezF 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have four. They look like a mesh UFE but no mesh. The bees seem to do really well on them.
Are yours all on nucs still? I'm sure I read in one of your posts that you had at least some nucs on solid UFEs, but it wasn't clear if you had them elsewhere too.

I'm hoping mine will do better on them than they do on an OMF (given that they have taken to propolising up the OMFs as it is).

James

Wilco 

Village idiot
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
I think they do better on solid floors. I have some, just use ply where the mesh would be on JBM's design as featured on the BMH video.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Are yours all on nucs still? I'm sure I read in one of your posts that you had at least some nucs on solid UFEs, but it wasn't clear if you had them elsewhere too.

I'm hoping mine will do better on them than they do on an OMF (given that they have taken to propolising up the OMFs as it is).

James
I have four now under full size colonies and two under nucs

GlenJ 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
meant to be 5!
I made a couple from 2 x 1 and had an annoying 10mm to make up. Otherwise great. Ply seems a good choice as long as the edges are protected from the elements.

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I have several solid floor UFE and have noticed they seem to be doing better than the mesh ones. Mine are made from 3 x 150mm cedar boards with a 10mm gap in the floor.

JamezF 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have several solid floor UFE and have noticed they seem to be doing better than the mesh ones. Mine are made from 3 x 150mm cedar boards with a 10mm gap in the floor.
I assume in that instance your 10mm gap runs the entire width of the hive?

Our local sawmill sometimes has cedar available and if I could get them to provide boards in a size I could work with that might be handy alternative.

James

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I assume in that instance your 10mm gap runs the entire width of the hive?

Our local sawmill sometimes has cedar available and if I could get them to provide boards in a size I could work with that might be handy alternative.

James
Yes in some it does, in others I have glued a piece of 10 mm wide wood at the edges to reduce the width of the slit to about 200mm.

I get quite a few lengths of 150 wide run up by my local saw mill as the are also good for roofs.

Last edited:

Latest posts