Solar wax extractor question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
Good morning team.
I was fortunate enough last year to acquire a solar wax extractor.
I have found that all the old lumps of wax, brace comb etc melts well without any problems. However some old wax foundation that I disposed of last year and saved to go through the extractor just won't melt. It is pretty grotty, very dark, and is some of the original foundation that came with my first nuc three years ago. I don't know how old it is but it is at least a couple of years old.
So my question is do you put ALL wax through including the old black stuff or do you just dispose of it in the bin?
Thanks in anticipation.
Andy:ohthedrama:

I think that old comb has so much larva silk that wax stays mostly there.

Handle the rubbish with care that bees cannot lick the stuff. If there are diseases, solar melter does not kill them. Taste is too awfull, if bees bring it to the hive.

Last edited:
I think that old comb has so much larva silk that wax stays mostly there.

Handle the rubbish with care that bees cannot lick the stuff. If there are diseases, solar melter does not kill them. Taste is too awfull, if bees bring it to the hive.

Thanks Finman. I did wonder about that, it just seemed to get hot but hold its form without melting.
Thanks
Andy

If you really need the old wax... boil it in water, pour off and allow to cool, cut off the slumgum /gunk and put the rest through the melter (in a fine muslin bag to strain remaining bits out)
In out latitude face the extractor South South West at 51 degrees to the horizon in full sun.

Put the old slumgum in the composter and make sure the lid is firmly fixed!

Yes we do as icanhopit does, I bought an old pot and add the wax to the boiling water. I use a small camp gas cooker and do this outside.

Once all the wax is melted I turn off the gas and let it cool, once cooled I scrape off the bottom layer of sludge and repeat as required.

Don't walk away when doing this, was can ignite so turn off as soon as the was is melted.

Tip, Do the boiling after the bees have finished for the day, or the smell will attract every bee for miles :)

You can also filter it through a paint cloth to filter out the big bits, like bees legs etc.

I have some photos of the process here if you are interested:-
Sorry can't post links yet, but search for "Minding Your Own BeesWax" on our site and you will find it.

the gumph left from melting off wax i use in my fire as fire lighters - tip/spread it out onto newspaper then sandwich between another piece of paper can be cut up into pieces for buring then ideal for the barbq too!

Yep, never melts the cell linings on old wax! Cos it's not wax!

.... However some old wax foundation that I disposed of last year and saved to go through the extractor just won't melt. It is pretty grotty, very dark, and is some of the original foundation that came with my first nuc three years ago. I don't know how old it is but it is at least a couple of years old.
So my question is do you put ALL wax through including the old black stuff or do you just dispose of it in the bin?
:

Yep, never melts the cell linings on old wax! Cos it's not wax!

The black stuff is old cocoons from the bees' pupation.
It doesn't melt. Its not wax. It is the bees version of silk.
It reinforces and stiffens the brood comb wonderfully.

But it is nothing to do with foundation.
Foundation is the sheet of clean wax that you provide as a basis (foundation - clue is in the name!) for the bees to draw comb onto.

Latest posts

Back