Recovering VERY old wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were stored in a beehive, with bees in for about 2/3 of the time I guess. They were full of granulated stores until I bruised & nadired them last autumn.

I suspect the solar wax melter is hot enough to kill most things.
Does oxalic acid bleach the wax too?
Or activate them. Dry systems such as waxes require a temperature of 160°C to be sure to kill spores that might be 'hibernating' in the wax. Overkill as the wax doesn't need to be sterile per se. Oxalic acid solution can be used at a more sensible temperature.

Or activate them. Dry systems such as waxes require a temperature of 160°C to be sure to kill spores that might be 'hibernating' in the wax. Overkill as the wax doesn't need to be sterile per se. Oxalic acid solution can be used at a more sensible temperature.
Any idea how the companies that exchange wax and make foundation treat the wax before using it?

I don’t recall any cases of commercial wax foundation transmitting any nasties regarding disease. IF…… it was an issue there’s likely to have been evidence and huge outbreaks of various diseases. A bit like national bee supplies sterilised wax, is it a cure for a non issue!

Is that knowledge or supposition?
Tend to agree re need.
I’d suggest knowledge as foundation has been used for decades with no linked cases of disease.

All things are in some way possible, little green men could land tomorrow. However it’s so unlikely it’s not worth worrying about! Would I link the the cases, maybe not! But Bee Inspectors probably would. Maybe large commercial operations buying large batches…… it’s just not happening it’s a non issue

All things are in some way possible, little green men could land tomorrow. However it’s so unlikely it’s not worth worrying about! Would I link the the cases, maybe not! But Bee Inspectors probably would. Maybe large commercial operations buying large batches…… it’s just not happening it’s a non issue
Agreed - probably!
But then there are risks to everything in life!

If a foundation supplier said "this foundation was produced from colonies later found to have AFB" would you buy it?
Well if they advertise it as foundation that’s never given any AFB would you buy it.

Agreed - probably!
But then there are risks to everything in life!
On that basis you’d never leave home! And even then you’d still worry because it’s possible the house would fall on your head😂 like I said a non issue.

On that basis you’d never leave home! And even then you’d still worry because it’s possible the house would fall on your head😂 like I said a non issue.
You may be taking my reply the wrong way. I completely agree in fact, I accept some risks I have little influence over, I personally hate the completely risk-averse nanny state approach.
Off to climb a nearly 6500m mountain in Nepal on Saturday - there are risks but I reckon they are worth it!
Bigger problem is whether my bees swarm in the next 3 weeks......

Off to climb a nearly 6500m mountain in Nepal on Saturday - there are risks but I reckon they are worth it!
Wow. You lucky so and so. Where? I hiked round Dhaulagiri many years ago and got to 5895metres on Kilimanjaro

Wow. You lucky so and so. Where? I hiked round Dhaulagiri many years ago and got to 5895metres on Kilimanjaro

Done Kili, Lobuche East in Nepal, & some of the Annapurna, had a go at Aconcagua but had to turn back at 6500m due to avalanche conditions.
Climbing Mera Peak this time, if all goes well I'll summit the day after my 60th 6476m! ☺️

Well if they advertise it as foundation that’s never given any AFB would you buy it.
I'm foundationless so it's not a bother to me ..however, on the one occasion when, I was given some frames (new) which had foundation in them. I used them in one of my hives .. the foundation was a bit on the browner side .. the bees steadfastly refused to draw them out .. comb produced everywhere else but on these frames. I tried warming it up .. still not interested. I replaced them with my usual foundation free frames in the same places and off they went. I don't know what they did not like about the foundation but there was clearly something they disliked.

Climbing Mera Peak this time, if all goes well I'll summit the day after my 60th 6476m! ☺️
Well good luck. We expect a snap from the top.
I stood on Kili on the morning of my 50th. Couldn’t have timed the trip any better.

Latest posts

Back