Recovering VERY old wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good luck. We expect a snap from the top.
I stood on Kili on the morning of my 50th. Couldn’t have timed the trip any better.
Thanks, I'm not great at uploading pics but I'll try! Great country! Love the Buddhist approach despite my atheism!

I don’t recall any cases of commercial wax foundation transmitting any nasties regarding disease. IF…… it was an issue there’s likely to have been evidence and huge outbreaks of various diseases. A bit like national bee supplies sterilised wax, is it a cure for a non issue!
Sigh!

The OP asked the question how to improve the quality of their wax hence the suggestion of using an oxalic acid wash to bleach the wax. Incidentally oxalic acid has antibacterial and antiviral properties which is a plus on the side. You jumped to the conclusion that it was being recommended to 'sanitise' the wax which it wasn't.

I use beeswax to manufacture pharmaceutical products and have done extensive microbiological validation on its use. If beeswax is used as an ingredient in aqueous systems there is a high risk of microbial contamination so I have to sterilise the products I make with beeswax because of the way the products are used clinically. Beekeepers don't use beeswax in aqueous systems so water of activation levels never reach microbial viability so it's a non issue for most beekeepers unless they do something silly like using dirty beeswax to make food wraps.

Last edited:
Sigh!

The OP asked the question how to improve the quality of their wax hence the suggestion of using an oxalic acid wash to bleach the wax. Incidentally oxalic acid has antibacterial and antiviral properties which is a plus on the side. You jumped to the conclusion that it was being recommended to 'sanitise' the wax which it wasn't.

I use beeswax to manufacture pharmaceutical products and have done extensive microbiological validation on its use. If beeswax is used as an ingredient in aqueous systems there is a high risk of microbial contamination so I have to sterilise the products I make with beeswax because of the way the products are used clinically. Beekeepers don't use beeswax in aqueous systems so water of activation levels never reach microbial viability so it's a non issue for most beekeepers unless they do something silly like using dirty beeswax to make food wraps.
This may interest you, particularly a little way in where he talks of microbes. Worth a look.

https://www.bushfarms.com/beesnotreatments.htm

Sigh!

I didn’t jump to any conclusions I specifically asked you in my posts 8 and 13 what viruses/bacteria or as you described nasties it was likely to destroy.
Sutty asked what commercial wax makers do in his post 24 my replies after that quoted his commercial wax/foundation question and no questions comments or quotes directed at you.
SIGH……..😉

I didn’t jump to any conclusions I specifically asked you in my posts 8 and 13 what viruses/bacteria or as you described nasties it was likely to destroy.
Sutty asked what commercial wax makers do in his post 24 my replies after that quoted his commercial wax/foundation question and no questions comments or quotes directed at you.
SIGH……..😉
I think I need to have a cadbury's caramel or better still a slice of buttered fresh crusty bread topped with honey sitting on top a mountain. 😁

Well good luck. We expect a snap from the top.
I stood on Kili on the morning of my 50th. Couldn’t have timed the trip any better.
DSC_0973.JPG
View from the summit of mera peak. Everest is the pointy one on the middle of the horizon.
Tough climb!

Latest posts

Back