Soft set honey - OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help on how to make soft set honey smooth. The bucket is OSR so I melted it down in my warming cabinet and then seeded with a jar I had from last season (10% ratio) which is very smooth (like butter). The honey after 12hrs of settling is still a little coarse but unsure on how to get it smoother before I jar it. I have a Thorne's hand honey creamer as my "tool" for mixing.

I was going to continue "mixing" until it set then heat it back up in my warming cabinet then bottle, unsure if this will give me the smoothness I expect. I've watched some videos on how to make soft set honey but none of them are dealing with OSR.

Am I on the right path?

Thanks

Sounds like you are not fully "melting" all the crystals in the original osr honey. If you were the honey would take on the character of the seed, and would not start to re-crystallise so quickly

I have a Thorne's hand honey creamer as my "tool" for mixing.

I'm assuming this is the big potato masher type...if so work your set every few hours with it....for as long as you can stand (at least 5 minutes and don't nbreak the surface as it introduces air bubbles). It will break up and shear the larger clumps of crystals that form in soft set when you simply seed and leave it to set.
When it's turned white it's ready for jarring. At room temp this can take from 2-4 days....it's a bit variable.

The mistake alot of people make is to add the seed while the bulk honey is still too warm and the small crystals of the seed simply melt away leaving the honey to granulate with any remaining large ones in the bulk.

Sounds like you are not fully "melting" all the crystals in the original osr honey. If you were the honey would take on the character of the seed, and would not start to re-crystallise so quickly

Is there an option to melt the honey back down to liquid state and try again or do you only get one go at it? Or would melting it down to liquid again ruin the quality?

If you are suing the potato masher creamer no need to fully melt.
There are several ways of generating soft set. Although fully melting and seeding gives a smoother end product...or at least in my comparisons it does.

If you are suing the potato masher creamer no need to fully melt.
There are several ways of generating soft set. Although fully melting and seeding gives a smoother end product...or at least in my comparisons it does.

Yeah it is the potato masher type. I don't mind standing over the bucket and "mashing" if it will give me a smooth finish.

Yeah it is the potato masher type. I don't mind standing over the bucket and "mashing" if it will give me a smooth finish.

It's will be good enough, just don't break the surface with the masher bit as it introduces air....

Russ_1 does not mind much about quality advices. Let it be then.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back