Smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed a couple of supers on the *happy* hives around 8.30pm yesterday (late from work), no smoke/smoker and the reaction was interesting. Certainly not impressed I'd lifted the roof but then again zero attacks, just curiosity.

I'd not fancy it with the feral hive tho.

Good read; https://academic.oup.com/jinsectscience/article/18/4/7/5060209

Smoke Conditions Affect the Release of the Venom Droplet Accompanying Sting Extension in Honey Bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae)

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it. I posted the link 2 pages back.

Maybe I should have said (Good read that), it was your link I was referring to and thanks for posting :)

Having read the paper I'm now testing the theory and so far it does seem a very light smoke masks the release of the Venom Droplet they talk about but I'm sure its far more complex than that and depends on how intrusive your intentions.

Mixed with the complex nature of changing environment and other factors its extremely difficult to gauge how they will behave. Something along the lines of very light smoke around the entrance its a good starting point I reckon, all depending on the operation at hand.

Yesterday I simply removed the hive blocks (gently) this was enough to get attacked.

Latest posts

Back