smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the card board packing stuff which comes from tho**nes.

But have found that there is to much tar and not so nice when in your face.

This has reminded me that i need to find some rotten wood and go get it dry in time for inspections.

I have used the card board packing stuff which comes from tho**nes.

But have found that there is to much tar and not so nice when in your face.

This has reminded me that i need to find some rotten wood and go get it dry in time for inspections.

Difficult to light and keep going - a job in itself!

Going to use the tobacco stalks this year. A few of the online bee supply companies appear to be selling this product in 2013. There are studies show a correlation between tobacco application and varroa numbers.

Im off to find some of that fungi.

Neonicatinoids? :D
Jw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood and paper work for me, it can even set you car on fire quite well

Difficult to light and keep going - a job in itself!

Not all rotten wood fire well. When you get a good stump, take it into store.

I

In a hurry you may dry up the wood in micro wave oven.

Last edited:
I use dried grass in my smoker - quite a nice smell, as well as slow burn with cool smoke.

The association I belong to uses cocoa chips - bit more difficult to light but burn very slowly.

Andy

Thought I might try some Alphalpha grass pellets that they feed to horses. Friend of mine supplies horse feed to the equine industry and has given me a small sample bag to try.

Going to use the tobacco stalks this year. A few of the online bee supply companies appear to be selling this product in 2013. There are studies show a correlation between tobacco application and varroa numbers.

Im off to find some of that fungi.

So if you grew something like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/572.shtml
you could cut and dry it for next year?

I've got some rotten wood, lavender stalks, loo rolls, cardboard, and will have dried lawn cuttings by summer.

Anything and everything I can find for free I use as fuel.

Friend was chopping down a tree, I helped myself to all the chippings and shavings and that filled a black binbag. I also have the cardboard packing from thornes as well as an ample supply of well rotten wood (UK allotments seem to have an unending supply, it's where timber goes to die.)

What shouldn't you use in your smoker ?

I would worry about Hessian sacking unless I knew exactly what had been originally stored in it... may have been seed dipped in ......?
Cardboard may contain a host of nasties....
I am now even worrying myself silly over what the donkeys may have been eating... a nice Golden Delicious dipped in.......?

Typha latifolia (Bulrush, Common Bulrush, Broadleaf Cattail, Common Cattail, Great Reedmace, Cooper's reed, Cumbungi). Some uses here this, but has to be picked when hard, greenish ( approx. end of June or beginning of July here). As who use it says that has mild smoke which doesn't irritate bees. Some use it without smoker as they say.

I got the feeling that I'm becoming annoying :blush5:

Typha latifolia (Bulrush, Common Bulrush, Broadleaf Cattail, Common Cattail, Great Reedmace, Cooper's reed, Cumbungi). Some uses here this, but has to be picked when hard, greenish ( approx. end of June or beginning of July here). As who use it says that has mild smoke which doesn't irritate bees. Some use it without smoker as they say.

I got the feeling that I'm becoming annoying :blush5:

Certainly not annoying me Goran.

I have Bullrush in abundance here and a wood full of rotten Birch. As a village local I have an ancient right to take whatever wood I can carry so I will be going on a forage soon. Have to wait for the Bullrushes.

Do you pick them green and dry them?

Cazza

As I said people who use them here say they have to be hard-sturdy, greenish. And then dry them. Time when they pic it here is end of June or beginning of July. If picked later it "dissipate" ( I hope I wrote the right word for it)..

Forgot - the reason I don't use it I have enough tinder bracket.:coolgleamA:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back