smallest swarm ever?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebod

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Neighbour phoned to say he found a small ball of bees, grapefruit sized, at the base of a wire fence about 10m from my hives. I scooped some up and dumped them in a nuc and the rest marched in. They barely cover about 2 sides of one comb, seem quite "nervous" and fan/scent vigorously whenever they're disturbed. They've stayed put and are happily going through a 1lb jar of weak sugar syrup every other day.

Is this the smallest swarm ever? What were they doing on the ground? Any one got any ideas what they're about??? :confused:

I've heard of a "mating swarm" but have never managed to track down what that means.

a cast is a swarm, anyway I had a cast last year with about 30 workers and a queen lol

I was going to say is her maj clipped. I've been told that with clipped queens they don't get that far though. Is there a hive nearby?

I was going to say is her maj clipped. I've been told that with clipped queens they don't get that far though. Is there a hive nearby?

Ooo, get me, all advising and stuff LOL, getting too big for my bee suit :D Very cute little swarm btw

LOL. Text overload last night, I had been studying and got used to skimming instead of reading properly. Must read properly. 100 lines by today :D

Just thought you'd like an update. It's now been 3 weeks since hiving this small cast. I looked through them yesterday and found just 30 bees! Yes 30, they were in a tiny bunch, very calm and still so I could count every last one, no sign of a Queen. I understand now when people say they just throw small casts like this into the top of large colonies and be done with it.

Back