Smaller scale wax melting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any advice/suggestions for a decent electric wax melter for small(er) scale cappings melting for 5 to 7 hive keeper?

Also best place to get wax block moulds ?

Thanks

Most of the suppliers sell small steam extractors. I’d have a look through them first. Also what type of moulds, I wouldn’t suggest making moulds straight from the steamer as there’s a lot of water mixed in if your after a decorative block.

wax block moulds
When running out the melted wax, use whatever you have to hand: bucket, plastic food container, cut-down plastic milk bottle.

If you mean to make candles and so on using moulds, the wax will need to be filtered several times until clean. Coffee filters or nappy liners are useful.

However you go about the job, use rainwater or water from a dehumidifier when washing wax, or it will saponify (turn soapy) and be useless.

However you go about the job, use rainwater or water from a dehumidifier when washing wax, or it will saponify (turn soapy) and be useless.
unless you live in a decent part of the world, then no need

Hmmm. My daughter melted down and roughly cleaned quite a lot of wax a couple of months back, putting the wax inside pairs of old tights in pans of tap water. Our water is certainly chlorinated, on rare occasions enough to be able to smell it, but there was no problem with the wax. Perhaps the process is a bit more involved?

James

I’m not so sure. My water is as decent as yours but it’s the chlorine that mucks up the wax and my tap water, soft as it is, still has chlorine.
I've never felt the need to use 'purified' water - always used it from the tap and never had issues with my wax and I wash it at least three times in tap water before rendering it.

Soft water in Wales, but in London it's as hard as nails.
Soft water but hard men, as for London.....................
the difference is, we have water from our taps, not recycled urine.
We used to do a stint working the Thames estuary and surrounding areas, as soon as we were given orders to reposition to the South West or Scotland, we wouldn't be too conscientious in topping up the freshwater tanks to the brim on sailing, as soon as we got to within hailing distance of our port of arrival and confirmed with the commander it was to be a standdown on arrival, we would arrange watermen then turn on every water tap onboard to ensure we had near empty tanks on arrival so we could then refill with decent stuff.

I’m not so sure. My water is as decent as yours but it’s the chlorine that mucks up the wax and my tap water, soft as it is, still has chlorine.
Our local tap water, from the South Downs Aquifer via Bedhampton springs, is as hard as nails ...it's almost undrinkable as tap water. As for wax rendering it leaves a chalk scum in the wax which is really difficult to get rid of. We have a condenser tumble dryer and I collect the water from that to use for my wax rendering ... about as pure as you can get without distillation. Works well for me,

I melted all my wax this season in a solar extractor, I have to be honest you don't need anything special. The supplier I exchange the wax with gave me more than they normally do, she said the quality of this is excellent.

I put my cappings in sacks and hang them out in the rain, I've got another two sacks filled and ready for the next few days of the wet stuff.

Any advice/suggestions for a decent electric wax melter for small(er) scale cappings melting for 5 to 7 hive keeper?

Also best place to get wax block moulds ?

Thanks
93B3B084-2B40-4D59-A13E-55B235CD276B.jpeg
These molds are cheap as chips on eBay

Soft water but hard men, as for London.....................
the difference is, we have water from our taps, not recycled urine.
We used to do a stint working the Thames estuary and surrounding areas, as soon as we were given orders to reposition to the South West or Scotland, we wouldn't be too conscientious in topping up the freshwater tanks to the brim on sailing, as soon as we got to within hailing distance of our port of arrival and confirmed with the commander it was to be a standdown on arrival, we would arrange watermen then turn on every water tap onboard to ensure we had near empty tanks on arrival so we could then refill with decent stuff.
Jenkins, stop taking the piss! Our water in London is OK to drink. It’s not really very hard either compared to water in Yorkshire for example.

stop taking the piss! Our water in London is OK to drink
no, spent enough time working the Thames estuary from our base in Gravesend to know it's vile stuff - awful to make tea from (almost as bad as Yorkshire water) - the scum which used to come to the top was really offputting as well, terrible to shower and shave in, and as for drinking neat, I've heard that the SAS used to use it to get them used to drinking their own urine if stranded in the desert

Latest posts

Back