Smaller scale wax melting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yorkshire water (at least South Yorkshire where I come from) between Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley is about the softest water in the country, It comes straight off the millstone grit in the Derbyshire Pennines and gets collected in reservoirs like Ladybower. You hardly need any soap as it takes forever to wash the suds off, it arguably makes some of the best beer in the country and a proper cup of tea. When I first migrated south to Portmsouth and got a pint of Brickwoods bitter - I asked the barman to pour another one - it was as flat as a glass of water ...no head on it at all. He poured another one and there was a slight foam on the top and he scraped it off ! Strange what you get used to but I still don't like drinking the tap water here compared to the soft stuff in Sheffield when I go home.

Yorkshire water (at least South Yorkshire where I come from) between Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley is about the softest water in the country, It comes straight off the millstone grit in the Derbyshire Pennines and gets collected in reservoirs like Ladybower. You hardly need any soap as it takes forever to wash the suds off
I spent some time outside York earlier this year at the NBU at sand Hutton, whether it was that particular hotel (it bloody cost enough) or just the water in that area, but the tea was orriboe

I spent some time outside York earlier this year at the NBU at sand Hutton, whether it was that particular hotel (it bloody cost enough) or just the water in that area, but the tea was orriboe
City of York's water comes mainly from the River Ouse so it's no wonder it tastes like ... it because it's hard, full of chlorine to make it safe and probably been recycled a couple of times before it gets into the Ouse !

If you go a bit further West towards Tadcaster and try Tetleys beer that's brewed there ... whole different ball game.

What a load of nonsense. Yorkshire water is the finest in the country making the best Yorkshire Tea. Brilliant taken in the right spirit. We send all our reject undrinkable water to London.

What a load of nonsense. Yorkshire water is the finest in the country making the best Yorkshire Tea. Brilliant taken in the right spirit. We send all our reject undrinkable water to London.
I'm always amused by the phrase "Yorkshire tea" (despite my having Yorkshire origins) - I've yet to see a tea plantation in Yorkshire!

Yorkshire water (at least South Yorkshire where I come from) between Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley is about the softest water in the country, It comes straight off the millstone grit in the Derbyshire Pennines and gets collected in reservoirs like Ladybower. You hardly need any soap as it takes forever to wash the suds off, it arguably makes some of the best beer in the country and a proper cup of tea. When I first migrated south to Portmsouth and got a pint of Brickwoods bitter - I asked the barman to pour another one - it was as flat as a glass of water ...no head on it at all. He poured another one and there was a slight foam on the top and he scraped it off ! Strange what you get used to but I still don't like drinking the tap water here compared to the soft stuff in Sheffield when I go home.
Burton upon Trent is one of the biggest historical beer brewing towns in the country, the reason being the water is just right - not too soft!
Our water is very soft so I add calcium and magnesium salts when home brewing.

City of York's water comes mainly from the River Ouse so it's no wonder it tastes like ... it because it's hard, full of chlorine to make it safe and probably been recycled a couple of times before it gets into the Ouse !

If you go a bit further West towards Tadcaster and try Tetleys beer that's brewed there ... whole different ball game.
I once went for an interview at York water company. They used to have dreadful problems from the RAF using Urea to de-ice airfield runways upstream. It didn't corrode airframes like salt would. It makes its way into the river and hence the water supply. Causes all sorts of trouble by stripping off the scale layers inside water mains which then leak or the lead content at the taps is outside permissible limits. Too long ago to recall what they dosed the water with during winter to combat the problem. Maybe someone can explain the chemistry.

Last edited:

Tetley's was brewed in Leeds. I used to drive past there regularly. Are you thinking of the two rival Smiths ( John and Sam) breweries in Tadcaster?

In one of my career stages I encountered Western side of Sheffield's brown water straight off the peat. Plate type heat exchangers were a nightmare to clean. The local were unfazed by it (looked darker than IrnBru) but I always took my flask from East Yorkshire for refreshment during the day.

......I think you mean Sam Smith's....far superior to Tetleys; I couldn't get enough at it ( in fact I had too much on many an occasion) when I was at college near York around 1980. :)

Tetley's was brewed in Leeds. I used to drive past there regularly. Are you thinking of the two rival Smiths ( John and Sam) breweries in Tadcaster?
I might be ... it's a long time ago and the pubs around me in Mexborough sold a mixture of Tetleys and both John and Sam Smiths ... I did a tour of the brewery in Tadcaster - all 'proper' beers, I must admit that my favourite was the silky smoothness of Tetleys bitter.

......I think you mean Sam Smith's....far superior to Tetleys; I couldn't get enough at it ( in fact I had too much on many an occasion) when I was at college near York around 1980. :)
I stopped drinking bitter when I came down to college in Portsmouth in 1967 and I've never got used to it. I lived within smelling distance of the Gales Brewery in Horndean (owned at the time by an Argyle family - no immediate relation) for a few years and I couldn't drink that even !

Last edited:
I stopped drinking bitter when I came down to college in Portsmouth in 1967 and I've never got used to it. I lived within smelling distance of the Gales Brewery in Horndean (owned at the time by an Argyle family - no immediate relation) for a few yeats and I couldn't drink that even !
In general, nowadays I tend to avoid any beer that's been taken over and mucked about by the big boys. Apart from Guiness, if it's generally available nationally, I avoid it. I must say I find the Ringwood brewery (not too far away from you) offering acceptable, but there are so many micro breweries around now that one is spoilt for choice

In general, nowadays I tend to avoid any beer that's been taken over and mucked about by the big boys. Apart from Guiness, if it's generally available nationally, I avoid it. I must say I find the Ringwood brewery (not too far away from you) offering acceptable, but there are so many micro breweries around now that one is spoilt for choice
Brewed with water from the River Test I believe which is about as good as river water gets ... and yes, Ringwood Ales are well brewed and drinkable ... they don't stray far out of the New Forest and the IOW but they are sold in one of my favourite pubs - about 7 miles away from me in Durley - The Farmers Home - good food there as well.

no, spent enough time working the Thames estuary from our base in Gravesend to know it's vile stuff - awful to make tea from (almost as bad as Yorkshire water) - the scum which used to come to the top was really offputting as well, terrible to shower and shave in, and as for drinking neat, I've heard that the SAS used to use it to get them used to drinking their own urine if stranded in the desert
I lived just outside London (Egham) for 3 years, whilst training to be a teacher. I forever had an upset stomach, one of my tutors asked me once do you drink the tap water, I replied yes, he told me never to drink the tap water. I stopped drinking it (unless it was boiled) and never had another problem. I found the beer to be far better to you.

I lived just outside London (Egham) for 3 years, whilst training to be a teacher. I forever had an upset stomach, one of my tutors asked me once do you drink the tap water, I replied yes, he told me never to drink the tap water. I stopped drinking it (unless it was boiled) and never had another problem. I found the beer to be far better to you.
Wasn't beer or gin preferred as a drink because London water was unsafe in previous centuries?

Latest posts

Back