Small windfall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stick the blackcurrant prunings straight into the soil - not had one fail yet

Me too! I pruned my blackcurrants & gooseberries in January, stuck some bits in gaps in the hedge & some in pots, theyve all took & have leaves.
I did the same with Budlia, though i pruned them at the wrong time of year, one pot from one bush have all took, the other lot from another different type all failed.

My grandmother and her friends in the WI mafia were big into taking cuttings - always a scissors and some plastig bags in her handbag - her bordes contained plants taken from cuttings which fell into her handbag during trips to the great houses of Wales and England :D

I like that idea ... sort of Raiders of the Last Park ... I go to RHS Wisley about three or four times a year and I always hope that they might be pruning their fruit bushes in my Autumn visit ...never seen it yet ~ I think they must do it at night to stop people like me pestering for their clippings !

All my fruit trees except the Conference Pear are now in bud, so a bit later than last year, but hopefully the weather will be better when they flower and I might see a bit more fruit than last year - which was dreadful.

Sorry edited, tried to post some pics but failed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We visit RHS Rosemoor probably monthly and OH does get a bit embarrassing on occasions, equipped with plastic bags and envelopes for seeds. At least we know most of the staff now and can ask for cuttings etc.

Cazza,

If you can find it a 'Monarda' is great for all sorts of bees. We first saw it covered in bees at Rosemoor and it's now growing well and spreading in our borders, Strange flowering habit but a bee magnet.

Cazza,

If you can find it a 'Monarda' is great for all sorts of bees. We first saw it covered in bees at Rosemoor and it's now growing well and spreading in our borders, Strange flowering habit but a bee magnet.

I have some Monarda but it prefers a heavier soil than mine.
Cazza

Had a lovely time at the local Nursery. Came home with some different hardy geraniums, a Eupatorium, Asters, some shade lovers, Eryngium and some plants I've never heard of just for fun.
That still leaves half the money.................maybe a trip to Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery tomorrow...... They do lovely cake too.:drool5:

Well I had a slightly smaller windfall down at my allotment - a strand of my Loganberry (unnoticed by me over the winter) had dropped down onto the ground and had taken root ... quite a lot of root .. so now I have TWO loganberries ! I wondered how I was going to propagate another one - must have read my mind ....

If you can find some get some pussy willow trees,
What variety?

This is one of the self set willows on the reservoir bank. It is Salix purpurea but it is so different from the other trees with masses of catkins. I could market it for bee keepers as Salix purpurea var Michaelii. I have others which have not broken bud yet so should give a protracted period of flower.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If you can find some get some pussy willow trees,

This is one of the self set willows on the reservoir bank. It is Salix purpurea but it is so different from the other trees with masses of catkins. I could market it for bee keepers as Salix purpurea var Michaelii. I have others which have not broken bud yet so should give a protracted period of flower.

Ours around here are very similar, some are huge almost as long as the catkins, and as you say, different stages. We should have them well into may easily.

Latest posts

Back