Small windfall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I have unexpectedly received a small windfall (3 figures) which I am going to blow on herbaceous perennials.:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

What would you buy? (I have light soil, ranging from full sun to full shade.)

Cazza

Lavender - shedfuls of it.a'nother thing Bumbles love is Heuchera - clouds of bumbles every year around my mothers
Failing that I could help you invest in a new invention of mine It'd like a flow hive only better - not only don't you have to open up the hive to get the honey, but the bees stay in all the time so no chance of the little blighters spoiling your barbie by stinging the guests.
If you don't wish to risk a new venture I could find you a small slot to invest in the expansion of my varroa comb business - I hope, in addition to the tortoiseshell ones to produce a range of various coloured ones - some with glitter in!!

What would you buy? (I have light soil, ranging from full sun to full shade.)

How much space do you have? If there is a fence/tree to climb up, I'd have clematis, jasmin, honeysuckle for height. Rosemary, lavender etc (which are technically sub-shrubs) would love a dry area and their fragrance is lovely. Then, I'd fill the gaps with bulbs and HP's (snowdrops, crocus, hellebores
especially for early flowers)

Take a look at
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit-seed-special-offers
http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Perennial+Plants/

Have fun!

Thanks JBM and B+.

I'm sticking to HP's as I have enough height and climbers.
Space is not an issue as I have 2 acres to play with and have just created some new beds.
I have to waste 2 days visiting in laws (so dull) tomorrow so I intend to visit Avondale Nursery (a gem in Bagington, Coventry) to offset the boredom.
I will be like an excited small child in a sweetie shop.
Cazza

Thanks JBM and B+.

I'm sticking to HP's as I have enough height and climbers.
Space is not an issue as I have 2 acres to play with and have just created some new beds.
I have to waste 2 days visiting in laws (so dull) tomorrow so I intend to visit Avondale Nursery (a gem in Bagington, Coventry) to offset the boredom.
Cazza

If you can find some get some pussy willow trees, that way you get an early start with pollen. I spent a lot in the last 2 years on shrubs etc, the solitary bees & bumbles loved them but my bees hardly used them, probably better stuff elsewhere for them. You could get a load of apple trees cheap from Aldi etc & build an orchard. I am going for trees now, it may take a few years to establish but i am thinking ahead :)

RHS list of pollinator plants

I would go for Composite plants such as Rubeckia, Globe thisle or plants of the Labiate family,

This is the comprehensive list from the RHS it is too good to summerise just have a look at the ones on offer against this list.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/pdf/...ife/rhs_perfectforpollinators_plantlist-jan15

Its a bit long but you should fine what you are looking for.

Mike

If you can't find what you want try the THETORD Garden Centre on your way back.

Bowles Hybrid is also known as Salix Bowles Hybrid this is a very vigorous variety.

Salix Purpurea (Purple Willow) this is the one I have seems good with masses of catkins.

This is a good site for the selection of varieties.

http://www.willowworks.co.uk/html/willow_varieties.html.

They are simple to grow.

Last edited:
Cazza

I know that feeling, I've just helped a non gardening friend dig and plant up a new bed. It's even better when it's somebody else's credit card paying for the plants!

My top picks would be phlox (fave is Bright Eyes), penstemon, lupins, oh and I love Perovskia or Russian Sage (sp?) for the end of Summer. Bees also love it but it does need some sun.

If you can find some get some pussy willow trees,
What variety?

We have lots wild here huge trees with a mass of flowers, i dont know what variety they are but i bought some weeping ones last year which i planted & they get lots on them, they are a different root stock & the crown/willow part is weeping to about 6 foot, these are Salix caprea kilmarnock. Once the flowers die you prune it back to grow again for next year.

I grew hyssop quite a few years ago and it looked gorgeous and attracted all sorts of pollinators. I've failed to find (easily) any seed for the last several years, but have now sourced some from Seed Parade - https://www.seedparade.co.uk/herb-seeds/173-hyssop-400-seeds.html?search_query=hyssop&results=1

Apparently "Hyssop loves hot, strong sunlight and plenty of it. It needs well drained soil and likes dryer (sic) conditions. If you have a rocky spot that bakes in the afternoon sun, it's probably a good location for a hyssop bush as long as you loosen the soil well and add some sand".

It did alright in the far from well drained, part-shaded bit of the garden where I sowed it, and it came up lovely. Tidy. :piggy:

If you can find some get some pussy willow trees,

these are Salix caprea kilmarnock.
Sounds like a sub variety of goat willow. grey willow is standard, goat is good - the other cultivars have ornamental benefits as well.
Planted 500 slips a few years ago (mostly osier and grey) as part of a river regeneration/habitat enhancement project I set up. Unfortunately didn't have the funds and couldn't convince the farmer to splash out a lot for a buffer strip so the cattle hammered a lot - still worthwhile though.
Around here the river banks have mostly goat and crack willow and doesn't have supply massive forge. Plenty of habitat for the odd warbler as well

Oregano. Let it flower and spread. Bees of all sorts love it.
Asters for late pollen and nectar.
Russian sage.... a real bee magnet. All like sandy soils.

Grrrrrr. Just found out the trip is cancelled. Mostly delighted that I gain 2 days of gardening\bee time but a little disappointed that the Nursery visit is off. All is not lost as the local nursery (Plantsman's Preference in South Lopham) is also excellent.

There's plenty of willow near me so I am lucky. I also already have an orchard and too many trees and shrubs which is why I'm only going for HP's.

I would certainly like some more Asters. I have Monch, Alma Plotche and Little Carlow.
Oregano is good and grows for me. I have Herrenhausen.
For some reason I can't grow Perovskia so I grow Agastache Blackadder instead.
Happy days.... And no bickering on this thread.
Cazza

Grrrrrr
Happy days.... And no bickering on this thread.
Cazza

There's time yet !

Lovely to be planting and very exciting when you can go out and buy what you want... I'm really into taking cuttings ... I pruned my son's prize dessert gooseberry bush in the Autumn and used the prunings as cuttings - nearly all of them have taken - I was really surprised that some really big ones are now in bud .. I'm trying to get some cuttings from various lavender bushes I have to take now ... not sure it's the right time of year though, time will tell, they are in the greenhouse.

There's time yet !

Lovely to be planting and very exciting when you can go out and buy what you want... I'm really into taking cuttings ... .. I'm trying to get some cuttings from various lavender bushes I have to take now ... not sure it's the right time of year though, time will tell, they are in the greenhouse.

Me too.....plants for free.
Last year I noticed thousands of bees on a Russian Vine in the village so I helped myself to some to plant in one of the hedges (masses of room). I just push Lavender prunings into a flower pot and they do well.
This year I plan to Chelsea Chop half my Sedums, root the choppings and plant them on a sunny bank in the apiary

My grandmother and her friends in the WI mafia were big into taking cuttings - always a scissors and some plastig bags in her handbag - her bordes contained plants taken from cuttings which fell into her handbag during trips to the great houses of Wales and England :D

Me too.....plants for free.

I have great success with redcurrants & black currants. A chap on the allotments showed me how to do them. When you prune them in the autumn, you're left with lots of cutting material. Simply stand them up in a bucket of water and forget about them. Invariably they will root and you have currants for free.

Latest posts

Back