small swarm - supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
housed a small swarm 28days ago. today did a quick peek as the weather is abit rough, looks like they are planning a supercedure? five play cups in typical half way up sides of frame position, no sign of queen but some capped brood, covering about two sides of a 14x12 frame - they are in a six frame nuc so still plenty of space, i have not come across a supercedure in a small swarm, if i was to requeen should i hurry or wait untill i see queen cells. if i cant find this old queen at waht point is best time to introduce a new queen without delaying colony build up?

new swarm

I also have received a swarm at the beginning of the week. These are my first bees, since doing the winter course, so looking for advice. I have given 3 pints of syrup so far which has all been quickly consumed. Should I keep providing syrup until they ignore it? Bees have been flying in with pollen so they are foraging. I have not yet opened up the hive, as I was letting them settle. Was hoping to do so today, but it is very windy here, and prob not best conditions to do so. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

normal advise is too wait three days for them to eat any stores they carried with them, then start feeding, this helps lessen any deisies being transfered to the new hive, dont worry if did not do this too much.
keep feeding them for a week or two, over feeding will mean less space for the queen to lay eggs, if you had new foundation you would need to feed a lot for this to happen, pollen going in is a good sign and can mean the queen is starting to lay eggs..

housed a small swarm 28days ago. today did a quick peek as the weather is abit rough, looks like they are planning a supercedure? five play cups in typical half way up sides of frame position, no sign of queen but some capped brood, covering about two sides of a 14x12 frame - they are in a six frame nuc so still plenty of space, i have not come across a supercedure in a small swarm, if i was to requeen should i hurry or wait untill i see queen cells. if i cant find this old queen at waht point is best time to introduce a new queen without delaying colony build up?

Did you see eggs?

should have added that --- eggs yes but not as much as i was hoping for... feels like they are slow exspanding

If you have eggs the you almost certainly still have a queen, old or new. I would be inclined to wait and see what happens. If there is nothing in q cups then ok for week

new swarm

I also have received a swarm at the beginning of the week. These are my first bees, since doing the winter course, so looking for advice. I have given 3 pints of syrup so far which has all been quickly consumed. Should I keep providing syrup until they ignore it? Bees have been flying in with pollen so they are foraging. I have not yet opened up the hive, as I was letting them settle. Was hoping to do so today, but it is very windy here, and prob not best conditions to do so. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Have now inspected the hive and spotted the queen, all the frames which all had new foundation have drawn comb on them, so at least they've been busy. waiting or some action in the egg side now!

Last night I took delivery of a new swarm, fairly small, and introduced them to a nuc box via sheet on ground at entrance, they milled around a lot and very few entered. By this time my hayfever was in full swing and very uncomfortable, and by 10.30 had to abandon them to their own devices, and get inside. This morning 06.45 went out to see them and they are all huddled around the entrance to the box and sheet entry! Why would they do that and not go in?? Any advice please!. Should I pick up the sheet and shake them into the box??

Last night I took delivery of a new swarm, fairly small, and introduced them to a nuc box via sheet on ground at entrance, they milled around a lot and very few entered.This morning 06.45 went out to see them and they are all huddled around the entrance to the box and sheet entry! Why would they do that and not go in?? Any advice please!. Should I pick up the sheet and shake them into the box??
Maybe there is no queen?
Put them in by all means and feed.

feels like they are slow exspanding

Not sure what you mean from that.

Was this swarm a prime or a cast?

If, as I suspect, it is a cast, I would not expect any expansion in bee numbers over a 28 day period.

If it was a prime (a very small one it would seem, even though on 14 x 12 frames) they should be just starting to expand, but often an old queen might be superceded soon after swarming if she is not up to scratch - they may have started swarming preps in the original colony because of a lack of queen pheromone. Only the bees will know.

Have now inspected the hive and spotted the queen, all the frames which all had new foundation have drawn comb on them, so at least they've been busy. waiting or some action in the egg side now!

Last night I took delivery of a new swarm, fairly small, and introduced them to a nuc box via sheet on ground at entrance, they milled around a lot and very few entered. By this time my hayfever was in full swing and very uncomfortable, and by 10.30 had to abandon them to their own devices, and get inside. This morning 06.45 went out to see them and they are all huddled around the entrance to the box and sheet entry! Why would they do that and not go in?? Any advice please!. Should I pick up the sheet and shake them into the box??

I've found dumping them into the box more successful than walking them in text-book style.

Play cups are not a a sign of anything. Look for eggs- if there is capped brood on 1 frame, there are probably eggs on 2 or 3. A small swarm is usually a cast, so I would say build-up sounds reasonable.

Latest posts

Back