Slugs in Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Over the years I have alway wondered if there was a method of preventing slugs getting into Nucs. I inspected 11 Nucs today and every single one had slugs in them, all mainly in the rebate where the frames rest. Does anyone have a solution for this? Perhaps wrapping copper wire around the hive stands that I use could help.

Had exactly the same problem this week, just at one apiary. One nuc was shared between bees and a dozen slugs, again resting happily under the frame lugs. The other six had a good few each. Not a damp site

Same here, I've removed leopard slugs from 3hives and 2 nucs this week. They do no harm and normally disappear once the bees get busy.

You could try copper slug tape around the entrance, I have never had a slug enter a nuc with the tape in place, I have only done it to one nuc and it has been in place for 12 years, never got around to taping the other nucs that I use. A number of years ago, I believe it was in New Zealand, they were trialling the tape against the varroa mite, I haven't heard anymore about it.

I had a dozen or more slugs in a poly nuc yesterday, but none in the hive (cedar).

Do they prefer poly to wood?

I’m assuming they do, as the nuc has a smaller entrance than the hive. It would probably be easier to gain entry to the hive than the nuc.

PS. Didn’t want to use pellets, so put salt around legs of stand. Tried copper tape before, with little success.

I seem to have a real infestation of them, every hive and nuc seemed to have them, in the feeders, under the roof and around the crown board and some under the lugs. Worst ones have Id guess around 20. They make a real horrible brown mess everywhere.

I took this photo around a month ago during the good weather when I noticed one hive was no longer flying.

IMG_20220416_214146.jpg

I wouldn't mind so much if slugs were actually edible, but according to Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall, they taste absolutely disgusting.

James

I wouldn't mind so much if slugs were actually edible, but according to Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall, they taste absolutely disgusting.

James
Gastropods carry the rat lungworm, which is a brain eating parasite, which causes a form of meningitis. Luckily we don't have it in the UK, yet. But they would have to be cooked thoroughly. My nan-in-law had many recipes for slugs when she was alive, but never got round to cooking them.

Gastropods carry the rat lungworm, which is a brain eating parasite, which causes a form of meningitis. Luckily we don't have it in the UK, yet. But they would have to be cooked thoroughly. My nan-in-law had many recipes for slugs when she was alive, but never got round to cooking them.

We're talking here about a man (Hugh F-W) who has eaten both human placenta and woodlice (though not at the same time as far as I'm aware). If he says slugs are disgusting, I'm quite prepared to believe him :)

James

We're talking here about a man (Hugh F-W) who has eaten both human placenta and woodlice (though not at the same time as far as I'm aware). If he says slugs are disgusting, I'm quite prepared to believe him :)

James
I've watched a few of HFW's programmes. Anyway for the brave How to Eat Slugs.

I’ve the same problem up here and I not sure why the bees ignore them. This was three weeks ago when I went to add fondant. I checked the nuc on Thursday and new slugs were back in. I think it’s time to get the bait out again.33BA1F74-04E8-428E-AE0B-1D89FAD0C198.jpeg2A2E3A53-2AFA-4584-8209-82BBC1251427.jpegB1D7AE14-8CB1-4229-A465-DE74E054E0FB.jpeg

I've watched a few of HFW's programmes.

Years ago one of my brothers worked for a company called Victoria Real, who were subsequently bought by another company called Endemol. Between the two of them I think they were responsible for the first series of both "River Cottage" and "Big Brother". Each programme had an end of series party and apparently the dates clashed. It is still a source of shame that my brother chose to go to the party for "Big Brother".

James

I seem to have a real infestation of them, every hive and nuc seemed to have them, in the feeders, under the roof and around the crown board and some under the lugs. Worst ones have Id guess around 20. They make a real horrible brown mess everywhere.

I took this photo around a month ago during the good weather when I noticed one hive was no longer flying.

View attachment 31434
Yuck!!!!!!

Yes, yuck! I had a small problem with the little ******* last year and tied strips of tree grease bands around the legs of my stands (luckily I only have two hives); I haven't had any trouble since and the bees didn't have any trouble with them.

Latest posts

Back